Patterson in 1969.
|Born||Neva Louise Patterson
February 10, 1920
near Nevada, Iowa, U.S.
|Died||December 14, 2010
Brentwood, California, U.S.
|Occupation||film, stage and television actress|
|Spouse(s)||Thomas Gallagher (?-1948) (divorced)
Michael Ellis (1953-1956) (divorced)
James Lee (1957-2002) (his death) 2 children
Born on a farm near Nevada in Story County in central Iowa, she and her parents moved to New York City in 1938. She made her Broadway debut in 1947's The Druid Circle. In 1952, she played "Helen Sherman" in The Seven Year Itch. Her first feature movie was the 1953 film Taxi; other film credits include The Buddy Holly Story, All of Me, and as Cary Grant's fiancee in An Affair to Remember.
Her television credits included Nichols, in which she played a cantankerous elderly matriarch in each episode opposite series star James Garner, The Governor & J.J., with Dan Dailey, and as Eleanor Dupres in V, which she reprised in V: The Final Battle. She made guest appearances on Appointment with Adventure, The Defenders, Ben Casey (1963), Ironside, Barnaby Jones, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Rockford Files and St. Elsewhere.
Patterson died from complications from a broken hip at age 90.
- All of Me (1984)
- V: The Final Battle (1984) (TV)
- V (1983) (TV)
- Star 80 (1983)
- The Buddy Holly Story (1978)
- All The President's Men (1976)
- The Spiral Road (1962)
- David and Lisa (1962)
- An Affair to Remember (1957)
- Desk Set (1957)
- Taxi (1953)
- "Neva Patterson dies at 90; actress played Cary Grant's fiancee in 'An Affair to Remember'" Los Angeles Times 17 December 2010
- Neva Patterson, Actress in ‘Affair to Remember’, Dies at 90 Associated Press December 17, 2010