Nevin S. Scrimshaw
|Nevin Stewart Scrimshaw|
January 20, 1918|
|Died||February 8, 2013
Thornton, New Hampshire
|Fields||Nutrition and food science|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (Ph.D.) 1941
University of Rochester (M.D.) 1945
|Known for||Research on human nutritional deficiency|
|Notable awards||World Food Prize (1991)|
|Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation http://www.inffoundation.org/|
Nevin Stewart Scrimshaw (January 20, 1918 – February 8, 2013) was an American food scientist and Institute Professor emeritus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Scrimshaw was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. During the course of his long career he developed nutritional supplements for alleviating protein, iodine, and iron deficiencies in the developing world. His pioneering and extensive publications in the area of human nutrition and food science include over 20 books and monographs and hundreds of scholarly articles. Scrimshaw also founded the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Institute of Nutrition of Central America and Panama, and the Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation. He was awarded the Bolton L. Corson Medal in 1976 and the World Food Prize in 1991. Scrimshaw spent the last years of his life on a farm in Thornton, New Hampshire, where he died at 95.
Awards and honours
- American Medical Association/Joseph B. Goldberger Award in Clinical Nutrition, 1969
- Institute of Food Technologists Bor S. Luh International Award, 1969 (known then as the IFT International Award)
- member, National Academy of Sciences, 1971
- American Society for Nutrition/Conrad Elvehjem Award for Public Service in Nutrition, 1976
- Bolton S. Corson Medal, 1976
- Fellow of the American Institute of Nutrition, 1985
- Bristol-Myers Award for Distinguished Achievements in Nutrition Research, 1988
- World Food Prize, 1991
- Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation. Nevin S. Scrimshaw, Ph.D., M.D., M.P.H.. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- The World Food Prize Foundation. Laureates: Dr. Nevin S. Scrimshaw. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Bryan Marquard (2013) Nevin Scrimshaw obituary from Boston Globe
- Institute of Food Technologists. List of IFT past award winners. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Further sources
- Chandler, David L. (February 11, 2013). "Nevin S. Scrimshaw, pioneer in nutrition research, dies at 95". MIT News Office. Retrieved 11 February 2013
- Baker, Billy (January 28, 2008). "At 90, he lives the lifestyle he preaches". Boston Globe. Retrieved 29 May 2012 (subscription required)
- Keusch, Gerald T. (Hanuary 2001). "The history of nutrition: Malnutrition, infection and immunity". The Journal of Nutrition. Retrieved 29 May 2012 (subscription required)