|Developer(s)||Verus Solutions, Hyderabad, India|
|Initial release||March 2005|
|Stable release||3.0.4 R 1 / September 13, 2012|
|Operating system||Linux, Windows|
|Type||Integrated library system|
|License||GNU General Public License|
NewGenLib is an integrated library management system developed by Verus Solutions Pvt Ltd. Domain expertise is provided by Kesavan Institute of Information and Knowledge Management in Hyderabad, India. NewGenLib version 1.0 was released in March 2005. On 9 January 2008, NewGenLib was declared Open Source Software under GNU GPL. The latest version of NewGenLib is 3.0.4 R1 released on 13 September 2012. Many libraries across the globe (mainly from the developing countries) are using NewGenLib as their Primary integrated library management system as seen form the NewGenlib discussion forum .
Modules & Functions
NewGenLib has following main modules:
- Technical Processing
- Serials management
- MIS Reports
- Task to do today (daily scheduler)
Some advanced functional features:
- Android mobile and tablet capable
- Integration with Twitter helping send messages of transactions directly to users’ Twitter accounts.
- Flexibility of defining own search field in OPAC.
- Enhanced contents and interactive OPAC like Availability of Book jackets, Google preview, Comments/ Book review, Tagging, Favorite reading list, etc.
- Zotero compliant OPAC
- RSS Feeds in OPAC
- Faceted Browsing (Refining search results)
- Suggestion for other books in the rack
- RFID supports
- Provision for frequently used predefined templates along with freedom of defining own customized data entry template s in Cataloguing
- Configurable SMS system - a proof of transaction.
- Integration with Gmail or paid mailbox account. This enables automatic sending of email to patrons during issue /return.
- Enhanced Report Module for generating in .csv format with a provision for wide customization.
- Provision for integrating with Vufind SOPAC (Ex: OPAC of the Library of Bangalore University).
- Catalogue can be harvested through Google site map, and thus the visibility of the library can be further improved.
Technologies Used & Standards Supported
NewGenLib uses a number of well supported and widely used, reliable and well tested open source components like PostgreSQL, Apache Tomcat, and Solr Lucene.,. It is entirely Java-based, platform-neutral, and uses the following major software technologies in its presentation, web server and database layers.
- Java SE
- Apache Tomcat server
- Spring framework
- Hibernate framework
- Lucene and Solr
- JDOM for XML messaging
- Java Servlets, JavaServer Pages
- Java Mail
- OpenOffice.org for form letters
- FreeMarker template (from version 3.04 R1)
NewGenLib is platform independent and can be installed on Linux and Windows operating systems.
Standards supported by NewGenLib
- MARC21 – For bibliographic data 
− Import and Export in ISO 2709, MARC XML
- MARC21 – For authority files
− Import available in ISO 2709
- MARC21 – Holdings
− Holdings data structures designed for MARC21 Holdings.
- Z39.76 – Holdings statement display
- MODS 3.0, AGRIS AP
− Bibliographic records can be exported in MODS 3.0 and AGRIS AP
− Record display and punctuations as per ISBD rules.
− Allows harvesting (manual) from external repositories − Create Open archive collections, and items, search the repositories and also act as data provider − Metadata formats: MARC XML, DUBLIN CORE, MODS 3.0 and AGRIS
− Federated search engines can search bibliographic databases using this protocol − Query language: CQL (Common Query Language), bench marking Level 1 compliance − Profiles used: BATH, and DUBLIN CORE − Metadata standards: MARC XML and MODS 3.0
It is also Zotero Compliant.
NewGenLib has a growing user community with a good discussion form at http://forums.newgenlib.org/. The details of features and new developments are also available at http://newgenlibofficial.wordpress.com/.
Types of libraries
NewGenLib can be used for any type of library. Presently, it is used by Libraries of following types.
- University libraries
- College/School libraries
- Public libraries
- Libraries in Research Institutes
- Church libraries
- Libraries in Offices/Corporates
- Bangalore University Library
- Indian Institute of Technology, Rajasthan
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (http://188.8.131.52:8080/newgenlibctxt/)
- NISCORT Media Training and Research Institute, New Delhi (Visit and Search Library)
- BIMTECH Library (http://184.108.40.206:8080/newgenlibctxt/Opac2_0.jsp)
- Vivekananda International Foundation (Research Resource Certre & Library), New Delhi
- NewGenLib Accessed on 22 January 2008
- Haravu, L J. (2009), “Comparison of two open source integrated Library Systems (ILS): Koha (version. 3.0) and NewGenLib (version. 2.2 beta)” , Available at www.verussolutions.biz/files/Whitepaper2.doc (accessed 20 August 2012)
- Giri, Rabishankar & Sengar, DS (2011), ‘Utilizing OSS for Libraries: A Case Study of the LRC of Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology’, Annals of Library and Information Studies, Vol. 58, No. 1; Pg 41-47. available at http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/11555 (accessed 2 February 2012)
- Giri,Rabishankar(2012),"NewGenLib 3: An Integrated Open Source Library Management System that Makes your Library Visible in Web", Library Hi Tech News, Vol. 29 Iss: 10, pp 4- 12.
- Mukhopadhyay, Parthasarathy. (2010), “Managing leader and control fields of Marc21 bibliographic format in FLOSS based LMSS: Benchmarking of Koha and NewGenLib” in Tripathi, Aditya...[et al.] edited, Open source library solution. ESS ESS Publication,New Delhi. pp. 144-165.
- 8. Abhijit Biswas, Library Technician and I.T. Department at Vivekananda International Foundation,An Integrated Open Source Library Management System NewGenLib,which allows you to use Digital Library through OPAC in web
- Presentations of NewGenLib
- Demonstration of features of various modules in NewGenLib
- Various videos showing the NewGenLib ease of use
- Practical Installation Process of NewGenLib OSS on Windows XP for Library automation
- NewGenLib at Verus Solutions
- NewGenLib From Sourceforge
- Congrats to NewGenLib at Evergreen-ILS