New Century AirCenter
|New Century AirCenter|
|IATA: JCI – ICAO: KIXD – FAA LID: IXD|
|Operator||Johnson County Arpt Comm|
|Elevation AMSL||1,087 ft / 331 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
New Century AirCenter (IATA: JCI, ICAO: KIXD, FAA LID: IXD), formerly known as Naval Air Station Olathe, Flatley Field and Johnson County Industrial Airport, is a joint civil-military general aviation airport located four miles (6 km) southwest of the central business district of Olathe, a city in Johnson County, Kansas, United States.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, New Century AirCenter is assigned IXD by the FAA and JCI by the IATA (which assigned IXD to Bamrauli Airport in Allahabad, India). The airport's ICAO identifier is KIXD.  
The airport’s codes were derived from its name of Johnson County Industrial Airport. The county originally sought the “IND” designation for its “industrial” name but that identifier went to Indianapolis International Airport. The county then sought an “IJC” code based on the Johnson County name but that was rejected as too similar to the OJC code of the neighboring Johnson County Executive Airport (which was previously a naval auxiliary landing field, or NALF, under the control of Naval Air Station Olathe). As a civilian facility, the airport was assigned the closest available industrial code "IXD." The previous FAA code for Naval Air Station Olathe was NUU and the ICAO code KNUU.
With the departure of Navy Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve flying units, the sole remaining military aviation presence at the airfield is the U.S. Army Reserve's Bravo Company, 7th Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment, flying the CH-47 Chinook.
The airport was acquired by Johnson County in 1973 and renamed Johnson County Industrial Airport to reflect a new mission of being an industrial park (including the Fred Allenbrand Criminal Justice Complex for Johnson County). On September 28, 1994 the name was changed to New Century AirCenter so as not to minimize its aviation component. In 1995, the Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) voted to close Naval Air Reserve Center (NAVAIRESCEN) Olathe and consolidate its units and functions at other Naval Air Reserve activities, with all Navy activities ceasing in 1996.
The base was featured in a segment on the A&E Network entitled “Haunted America” in which it is claimed the base is the site of paranormal activity after a Navy pilot crashed into an aircraft hangar next to the airport control tower in the 1950s. According to the report: security guards hear voices, whistles, footsteps on the floor and on overhead catwalks. Locks refuse to stay locked and doors open and close without wind or human intervention and an occasional apparition makes an appearance.
Facilities and aircraft
- Runway 4/22: 5,130 x 100 ft (1,564 x 30 m), Surface: Asphalt
- Runway 18/36: 7,339 x 150 ft (2,237 x 46 m), Surface: Asphalt
For 12-month period ending December 31, 2006, the airport had 58,114 aircraft operations, an average of 159 per day: 55% transient general aviation (32,150), 39% local general aviation (22,697), 4% air taxi (2,179) and 2% military (1,088). There are 130 aircraft based at this airport: 73% single engine (95), 21% multi engine (27), 6% jet aircraft (8) and 12% military (16).
- FAA Airport Master Record for IXD ( PDF), retrieved 15 October 2008
- Great Circle Mapper: JCI / KIXD - Olathe, Kansas (New Century AirCenter)
- Great Circle Mapper: IXD / VIAL - Allahabad, India (Bamrauli Airport)
- Global Security.org profile of Olathe
- New Century Air Service, Inc. (Full Service FBO & Line Service, 24-7 fueling, aircraft maintenance & insurance repairs, aircraft appraisals and sales)
- New Century AirCenter (Johnson County web site)
- (PDF), effective June 26, 2014
- Kings Avionics, Inc. (Avionic Services @ EB Hangar)
- Executive Beechcraft, Inc. / BBA Aviation (EB FBO located on west side of 36/18 at H)
- Resources for this airport:
- FAA airport information for IXD
- AirNav airport information for KIXD
- GlobalAir airport information for IXD
- ASN accident history for JCI
- FlightAware airport information and live flight tracker
- NOAA/NWS latest weather observations
- SkyVector aeronautical chart, Terminal Procedures
- FltPlan.com Airport, Runway,& Weather Info