New Directions (Glee)
|Episode no.||Season 5
|Directed by||Brad Falchuk|
|Written by||Brad Falchuk|
|Original air date||March 25, 2014|
"New Directions" is the thirteenth episode of the fifth season of the American musical television series Glee, and the 101st episode overall. Written and directed by series co-creator Brad Falchuk, it aired on Fox in the United States on March 25, 2014, and is the second part of a two-part anniversary episode that features the apparent end of New Directions after the club is shut down by principal Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch). Many graduates of the glee club have returned, as do special guest stars Kristin Chenoweth as April Rhodes and Gwyneth Paltrow as Holly Holliday.
After McKinley principal Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) finally succeeds in disbanding New Directions at the school, and former members and friends of the glee club have returned to bid it and director Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) farewell, some of them, including April Rhodes (Kristin Chenoweth) and Holly Holliday (Gwyneth Paltrow), scheme to resurrect it. Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera) and Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) make an effort at a rapprochement. The McKinley senior class graduates.
Series co-creator Brad Falchuk wrote and directed this episode. The first part of the two-parter had been directed by Paris Barclay, and written by Falchuk along with the other two co-creators, Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan.
The show made a list of thirty songs that had previously been performed on the show, and invited fans to vote on which ones should appear in the 100th episode in a promotion called "Gleek's Choice" that was run at the end of November 2013. At least ten of these, which were not immediately announced, were set to be featured in this episode, though not necessarily sung by the same artists as before. The list of thirteen songs that was eventually released in late February 2014 for what turned out to be a two-part 100th episode contained eight songs from the original thirty-song list, not ten.
A number of former main characters on the show have returned for this two-part episode. These include Yale student Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron), MIT student Brittany Pierce (Heather Morris), Airman Noah "Puck" Puckerman (Mark Salling), UCLA student and aspiring singer Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley), and Joffrey Ballet School student Mike Chang (Harry Shum, Jr.).
Two characters played by special guest stars return as well: April Rhodes (Kristin Chenoweth), who went to Broadway to star in an original musical that won at least one Tony award, and substitute teacher Holly Holliday (Gwyneth Paltrow). A recurring character in this episode is cheerleader Becky Jackson (Lauren Potter).
An album, Glee: The Music, Celebrating 100 Episodes was released with thirteen songs on it, featuring music from both this episode and the previous one (its first part). The full album was released on March 25, 2014, and includes the six songs from this episode. Two of these songs are new covers of songs that have previously appeared on Glee: the original song "Loser Like Me" performed by Darren Criss, Kevin McHale, Chord Overstreet and Jenna Ushkowitz; and a new version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" that features Lea Michele, Morrison, Criss, Chris Colfer, McHale and Ushkowitz. The remaining four songs are new to the show: Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" sung by Paltrow; Oh Honey's "Be Okay" performed by Michele and Naya Rivera; "I Am Changing" from the musical Dreamgirls featuring Colfer and Riley; and Pink featuring Nate Ruess's "Just Give Me a Reason" sung by Salling and Agron. A seventh song, Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart", which was to be sung by Chenoweth and Morrison, was cut from the episode, although it is included on the album.
- "Listings – Glee on Fox". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 13, 2014). "Glee: Remainder of Season 5 to Be Set in New York". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (February 25, 2014). "Glee's Brad Falchuk on 100 Episodes, New York Shift and the Show's New Ending". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Barclay, Paris (January 27, 2014). ""@LouderLea: @Harparbar can you please please tell us who is directing Part 2?..." Brad Falchuk does the honor.". Twitter. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Barclay, Paris (December 19, 2013). "Twitter / @Harparbar: "@LouderLea: @Harparbar when do you start filming #glee100? This year or next one? <3 I just want my cast photos lol :)" we start tomorrow!". Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Bentley, Jean (November 27, 2013). "Glee 100th episode remix contest: Vote for your favorite songs". Zap2it.com. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (February 24, 2014). "Glee's 100th Episode Song List Revealed". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Glee Cast – MP3 downloads". amazon.com. Retrieved March 10, 2014.