Nils Christie speaking at Utah Valley State College
February 24, 1928 |
Nils Christie (born 1928 in Oslo) is a Norwegian sociologist and criminologist. He is a professor of criminology at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo since 1966. Among his books is Pinens begrensning from 1981, which has been translated into eleven languages. He has received an honorary degree at the University of Copenhagen. Christie is well known for his long standing criticism of drug prohibition, industrial society, and prisons.
He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
Nils Christie was awarded the 2001 Fritt Ord Freedom of Expression Prize "for his original and independent contributions to the Norwegian and international social debate".
- Fangevoktere i konsentrasjonsleire (1952)
- Hvis skolen ikke fantes (1971)
- Pinens begrensning (1981)
- Den gode fiende: Narkotikapolitikk i Norden (with Kettil Bruun, 1985)
- Kriminalitetskontrol som industri: På vej mod GULAG, vestlig stil? (1996)
- Crime Control as Industry: Towards GULAGs, Western Style? (2000)
- En passende mengde kriminalitet (2004)
- A Suitable Amount of Crime (2004)