Nova Science Publishers
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Hauppauge, New York|
|Key people||Nadya S. Gotsiridze-Columbus (editor-in-chief)|
|Publication types||Academic journals, books, encyclopedias, handbooks|
|Nonfiction topics||Academia in general, but mostly sciences and social sciences|
|Imprints||List of imprints|
Nova Science Publishers is an academic publisher of books, encyclopedias, handbooks, e-books and journals, based in Hauppauge, New York. While the firm publishes in several fields of academia, most of its publications cover fields of science and social science. As of November 2013, it listed 103 currently published journals. It was founded in 1985 in New York by Frank Columbus. On his death in 2010 at age 69, his wife Nadya Columbus became the editor-in-chief.
In an evaluation of twenty-one international social-science book publishers that attempted to determine the market penetration of publishers on international markets and the mentioning of their books in international science index systems such as Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Nova Science Publishers ranked 17th out of 21 publishers. Nova Science Publishers is included in the Book Citation Index. The Dutch Research School for Socio-Economic and Natural Sciences of the Environment (SENSE) ranked Nova as a C-publisher, below that of top (A-publishers) and semi-top (B-publishers) publishers.
Library professionals have warned that Nova's books "do not go through a standard academic peer review process despite their academic focus." Nova has also been criticized for republishing old public domain book chapters, while providing insufficient indication of the nature of the content, making them seem as though they are new standalone journal articles.
- "Company Overview of Nova Science Publishers, Inc.". Business Week. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Journal catalog page accessed November 17, 2013
- Merrick, Joav. "Editorial: A Tribute to Frank Columbus (1941–2010)". International Journal of Child Health and Human Development 4 (2): 0. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Tausch, Arno (2011). "On the Global Impact of Selected Social-Policy Publishers in More Than 100 Countries". Journal of Scholarly Publishing 42 (4): 476. doi:10.3138/jsp.42.4.476.
- "Master Book List". Book Citation Index. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "The SENSE book publishers ranking list 2007 – 2010". SENSE.
- Phillips, Lara (17 September 2013). "A list of Print-on-demand publishers and self-publishing "Vanity presses" for librarians and faculty". University of the South Pacific. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Bade, David W. (24 September 2007). "The Content of Journals Published by Nova Science Publishers, Inc.". Stanford University Libraries. Retrieved 2013-11-17.