|Distributor(s)||Valve Corporation (Steam)|
26 September 2011
||This article contains too many or too-lengthy quotations for an encyclopedic entry. (November 2013)|
Nuclear Dawn is a post-apocalyptic first-person shooter real-time strategy hybrid video game (games in the same genre include Savage and Natural Selection). It was originally announced in February 2006 as an amateur mod for the Source engine, but in April 2009 was revealed to have become a commercial project, still using Source, aimed at Windows PCs and Mac OS X. It was released on September 26, 2011.
One player on each team is a 'commander', who directs his or her team from an overhead view. The remainder are soldiers who have standard FPS player capabilities. Drivable vehicles were originally planned, but decided to leave vehicles out of the initial release of Nuclear Dawn.
The comparative roles of soldiers and commanders are described by InterWave as being:
On The Field
- Four distinct classes to choose from with interdependent strengths and weaknesses that promote cooperative teamwork, collaborative tactics and intelligent strategy.
- A wide arsenal of weapons to deploy on the battlefield including rifles, shotguns, miniguns, explosives, and much more.
- Original environments rich with detail and perfect for a nice and bloody battle. Take the streets of a desolate Japanese city, infiltrate a Russian nuclear installation, or fight for the treasures of one of several other post-apocalyptic locales.
As a Commander
- Objective-based game play emphasizes coordinated tactics.
- The environment and physics shape your strategy. Create choke-points, defensive positions, and blast your way through the enemy positions.
- Expand your territory with a variety of well-placed structures to aid your team in its conquest. From support structures to turrets that will pound your enemies into submission.
- Unlock new technologies to turn the tide in your favour.
- Secure resource points to deploy weapons and equipment to aid your team.—Nuclear Dawn's ModDB profile
When Nuclear Dawn's move to a commercial product was announced, InterWave's managing director, Michiel Beenen, said:
- Natural Selection (An RTS/FPS hybrid mod for Half-Life)
- Empires (An RTS/FPS hybrid mod for Half-Life 2)
- "Nuclear Dawn Fact Sheet II - Featured Features". InterWave Studios. April 9, 2010.
- "Nuclear Dawn Teaser - Spring 2011". InterWave Studios. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "Nuclear Dawn homepage, April 2, 2006". Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Archived from the original on April 2, 2006. Retrieved July 7, 2009.
- "Behind the scenes of the level design department". InterWave Studios. July 28, 2009. Retrieved August 15, 2009.
- "Wheels on Ice". InterWave Studios. February 11, 2011. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "Nuclear Dawn Nuked". June 1, 2006. Retrieved August 8, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nuclear Dawn.|