||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2009)|
|Type||Public (NASDAQ: OPNT)|
|Industry||Computer software, Computer hardware, Network and Application Management|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, USA|
|Key people||Marc A. Cohen, CEO & Chairman
Alain J. Cohen, CTO & President
Joseph Lenz, Senior Vice President
|Revenue||US$ 173 million (FY-12)|
|Net income||US$ 18 million (FY-12)|
|Employees||Approximately 700 (2012)|
The company was founded in 1986 and went public in 2000. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland and has offices in Cary, North Carolina; Nashua, New Hampshire; Dallas, Texas; and Santa Clara, California. It has international offices in Slough, United Kingdom; Paris, France; Ghent, Belgium; Frankfurt, Germany; and Singapore with staff and consultants in multiple locations in Asia and Latin America.
"OPNET" was Alain Cohen's (co-founder and current CTO & President) graduate project for a networking course while he was at MIT. OPNET stood for Optimized Network Engineering Tools. Alain, along with brother Marc (co-founder and current CEO & Chairman) and classmate Steven Baraniuk, decided to commercialize the software. The company's first product was OPNET Modeler, a software tool for computer network modeling and simulation.
Since becoming a public company in August 2000, OPNET has executed the following acquisitions:
- March 2001: NetMaker Division of Make Systems
- January 2002: WDM NetDesign B.V.B.A
- October 2004: Altaworks Corporation
- October 2007: substantially all of the assets of Network Physics, Inc.
- August 2010: DSAuditor product line from Embarcadero Technologies
- May 2012: Clarus Systems, Inc.
- Network simulation with visual modeling, that may be used for capacity planning
- Application performance management, see AppTransaction Xpert in Comparison of packet analyzers
NetScout, Fluke, NetQoS, Solarwinds, PathSolutions
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Announces Initial Public Offering of 4.0 Million Shares of Common Stock at $13.00 Per Share
- Martyn Williams, Network World. "Riverbed to acquire Opnet in $1B deal." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Nathan Eddy, eWeek. "Riverbed Boosts APM Abilities With Opnet Acquisition." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Jon Gold, Network World. "Riverbed's billion-dollar Opnet buy could pay off big, analysts say." Nov 1, 2012. Retrieved Dec 13, 2012.
- Riverbed to Acquire OPNET Technologies, Inc. Oct 29, 2012. Retrieved Dec 13, 2012.