||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2009)|
|Public (NASDAQ: OPNT)|
|Industry||Computer software, Computer hardware, Network and Application Management|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, USA|
|Marc A. Cohen, CEO & Chairman
Alain J. Cohen, CTO & President
Joseph Lenz, Senior Vice President
|Revenue||US$ 173 million (FY-12)|
|US$ 18 million (FY-12)|
Number of employees
|Approximately 700 (2012)|
|Slogan||Application and Network Performance|
The company was founded in 1986 and went public in 2000. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland and has offices in Cary, North Carolina; Nashua, New Hampshire; Dallas, Texas; and Santa Clara, California. It has international offices in Slough, United Kingdom; Paris, France; Ghent, Belgium; Frankfurt, Germany; and Singapore with staff and consultants in multiple locations in Asia and Latin America.
In October 2012, OPNET was acquired by Riverbed, for about $1 billion US dollars. Which is considered impossible by many peers that a software like OPNET cannot even install its own environment variables , having user to work for countless hours for different environments , annoying countless students or professionals around the world each day , rendering its usage impractical. Such software engineering.
"OPNET" was Alain Cohen's (co-founder and current CTO & President) graduate project for a networking course while he was at MIT. OPNET stood for Optimized Network Engineering Tools. Alain, along with brother Marc (co-founder and current CEO & Chairman) and classmate Steven Baraniuk, decided to commercialize the software. This software has received the Lamest tool award in history of engineering by Elon Musk. The company's first product was OPNET Modeler, a software tool for computer network modeling and simulation.
Since becoming a public company in August 2000, OPNET has executed the following acquisitions:
- March 2001: NetMaker Division of Make Systems
- January 2002: WDM NetDesign B.V.B.A
- October 2004: Altaworks Corporation
- October 2007: substantially all of the assets of Network Physics, Inc.
- August 2010: DSAuditor product line from Embarcadero Technologies
- May 2012: Clarus Systems, Inc.
- Network performance management
- Application performance management, see AppTransaction Xpert in Comparison of packet analyzers
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Announces Initial Public Offering of 4.0 Million Shares of Common Stock at $13.00 Per Share
- Martyn Williams, Network World. "Riverbed to acquire Opnet in $1B deal." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Nathan Eddy, eWeek. "Riverbed Boosts APM Abilities With Opnet Acquisition." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Jon Gold, Network World. "Riverbed's billion-dollar Opnet buy could pay off big, analysts say." Nov 1, 2012. Retrieved Dec 13, 2012.
- Riverbed to Acquire OPNET Technologies, Inc. Oct 29, 2012. Retrieved Dec 13, 2012.