||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2009)|
|Type||Public (NASDAQ: OPNT)|
|Industry||Computer software, Computer hardware, Network and Application Management|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, USA|
|Key people||Marc A. Cohen, CEO & Chairman
Alain J. Cohen, CTO & President
Joseph Lenz, Senior Vice President
|Revenue||US$ 173 million (FY-12)|
|Net income||US$ 18 million (FY-12)|
|Employees||Approximately 700 (2012)|
OPNET Technologies, Inc. is a software business that provides performance analysis for computer networks and applications.
The company was founded in 1986 and went public in 2000. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland and has offices in Cary, North Carolina; Nashua, New Hampshire; Dallas, Texas; and Santa Clara, California. It has international offices in Slough, United Kingdom; Paris, France; Ghent, Belgium; Frankfurt, Germany; and Singapore with staff and consultants in multiple locations in Asia and Latin America.
"OPNET" was Alain Cohen's (co-founder and current CTO & President) graduate project for a networking course while he was at MIT. OPNET stood for Optimized Network Engineering Tools. Alain, along with brother Marc (co-founder and current CEO & Chairman) and classmate Steven Baraniuk, decided to commercialize the software. The company's first product was OPNET Modeler, a software tool for network modeling and simulation.
Since becoming a public company in August 2000, OPNET has executed the following acquisitions:
- March 2001: NetMaker Division of Make Systems
- January 2002: WDM NetDesign B.V.B.A
- October 2004: Altaworks Corporation
- October 2007: substantially all of the assets of Network Physics, Inc.
- August 2010: DSAuditor product line from Embarcadero Technologies 
- May 2012: Clarus Systems, Inc.
OPNET products address:
Riverbed Cascade, NetScout, Fluke, NetQoS, Solarwinds, PathSolutions
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Announces Initial Public Offering of 4.0 Million Shares of Common Stock at $13.00 Per Share
- Martyn Williams, Network World. "Riverbed to acquire Opnet in $1B deal." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Nathan Eddy, eWeek. "Riverbed Boosts APM Abilities With Opnet Acquisition." Oct 30, 2012. Retrieved Dec 12, 2012.
- Jon Gold, Network World. "Riverbed's billion-dollar Opnet buy could pay off big, analysts say." Nov 1, 2012. Retrieved Dec 13, 2012.
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Investor Relations
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Acquires the Assets of Network Physics, Inc.
- OPNET Acquires DSAuditor Product Line from Embarcadero Technologies
- OPNET Technologies, Inc. Acquires Clarus Systems, for Managing Unified Communications