Oakland Plantation House (Mount Pleasant, South Carolina)
Oakland Plantation House
Oakland Plantation in 1940
|Nearest city||Mount Pleasant, South Carolina|
|NRHP Reference #||77001218|
|Added to NRHP||July 13, 1977|
The Oakland Plantation House which is also known as Youghall or Youghal Plantation House, was built about 1750 in Charleston County, South Carolina about 7 mi (11 km) east of Mount Pleasant. It is located about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of U.S. Route 17 on Stratton Place. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1977.
John Perrie, who came from Ireland, acquired 982 acres (397 ha) in Christ Church Parish. He named the plantation after Youghal in County Cork. At his death in 1713, the plantation passed on to his daughter. Her husband conveyed the property to Captain George Benison in 1740. It is believed that he built the house. In 1755, Charles Barksdale acquired the plantation. This family controlled the property for the next century.
In the 1850s, Mary Barksdale and her husband, James McBeth were the owners. He probably changed the name to Oakland. In 1859, Philip E. Porcher bought the property. His descendants have owned it since.
It is a 1 1⁄2-story frame house with gambrel roof. The top one and one-half stories are frame construction on brick piers. It originally had chimneys on either end, but only one remains. Five steps lead up to a portico with a hip roof supported by two Tuscan columns that were added at a later date. It has a paneled door in the center of front facade with a four-light flush transom. Two nine-over-nine windows are on each side of the door.
A kitchen wing was added to the structure in the 1920s. This has a similar gambrel roof. The wing has a circular window and double casements on the front. Doors connecting with the house replace windows.
The rear elevation is similar to the front elevation except that it has a shed-roof porch supported by square stucco columns. The wooden floor of the porch has been replaced by a ground-level concrete patio.
The left side elevation has three nine-over-nine lights on each level. The central windows replace the chimney that was removed.
The interior has four rooms without a central hallway. The door opens to a small foyer with staircase. The second floor has three bedrooms and a bath. The fireplaces with original Greek-motif mantels are in the corners of the room.
The original, detached kitchen, two smokehouses, and an oak-lined avenue remain.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Brabham, Bill; McNulty, Kappy (March 29, 1977). "Oakland Plantation". National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form. National Park Service. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- Royall, Mary-Julia C. (2001). Mount Pleasant. Mount Pleasant, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing. p. 11. ISBN 0-7385-0690-7.
- "+32° 51' 59.00", -79° 45' 18.00". Google Maps. google.com. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Oakland Plantation House, Charleston County (U.S. Hwy. 17, Mount Pleasant vicinity)". National Register Properties in South Carolina. South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- "Oakland Plantation – Mount Pleasant". South Carolina Plantations. SCI-way.net. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- "133 acres (0.54 km2) Preserved! - The Mount Pleasant Open Space Foundation Preserves 133 Acres". Mount Pleasant Open Space Foundation Email Newsletter. Mount Pleasant Open Space Foundation. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- Leiding, Harriette Kershaw (1921). Historic houses of South Carolina. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: J.B. Lippincott Company. pp. 181–185.
- Greene, C.O. (April 17, 1940). "Oakland Plantation, Mount Pleasant vicinity, Charleston County, SC (Photographs)". Historic American Building Survey. National Park Service. Retrieved 23 May 2009.
- Stoney, Samuel Gaillard; Simons, A., and Lapham, Samuel, Jr. (1989). Plantations of the Carolina Low Country (7th ed.). Mineola, New York: Courier Dover Publications. pp. 62, 166–168. ISBN 0-486-26089-5.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. SC-9, "Oakland Plantation, Mount Pleasant, Charleston County, SC", 6 photos, 12 measured drawings, 2 data pages