Och-Ziff Capital Management
|Traded as||NYSE: OZM|
New York City, New York, United States
|Key people||Daniel Och|
|Total assets||$34.6 billion as of March 1, 2013|
Och-Ziff Capital Management Group is an American hedge fund manager and global alternative asset management firm. In early 2011, the firm had more than $28 billion in assets under management. It is the 5th largest hedge fund in the world as end of 2011.
The firm operates multiple investment strategies, including merger arbitrage, convertible arbitrage, equity restructuring, credit and distressed investments, private investments, and real estate. It has 400 employees worldwide including offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, Mumbai, and Beijing.
The firm was founded in 1994 by Daniel Och with financial support from the Ziff family, founders of Ziff Davis Media. William Ziff's sons Dirk, Robert, and Daniel manage the family's investments through Ziff Brothers Investments. Prior to founding the firm, Och was Head of Proprietary Trading in the Equities division at Goldman Sachs.
The company completed an initial public offering in 2007, listing its shares on the New York Stock Exchange at $32. The firm was one of the few hedge funds and private equity companies that completed IPOs before the market downturn of 2007. The company's stock has declined significantly since the IPO, reaching a 2008 year-to-date low of $4.02. On September 30, 2010, the stock was trading at $14.90.
OZ Management is a subsidiary of Och-Ziff Capital Management. In January 2008 OZ Management, Tokyo Sexwale’s Mvelaphanda (Mvela) Holdings and Walter Hennig’s Palladino Holdings announced the creation of a new joint venture, Africa Management Limited. As part of the joint venture, Africa Management Limited established African Global Capital, as a vehicle for investment in both the private and public markets across Africa, focusing on natural resources and related opportunities. Tokyo Sexwale, founder of Mvela, said: "We intend to build on our already strong foothold in African investments in partnership with Och-Ziff. The partnership with Och-Ziff in African Global Capital will help us accelerate in building the leading African investment firm.” Mvela Holdings is a privately owned investment company founded in 1998 by Tokyo Sexwale, Mikki Xayiya and Mark Willcox. Mvela Holdings is the controlling shareholder of Mvelaphanda Group and has a significant interests in Mvelaphanda Resources.
In August 2012 the Mail & Guardian reported that Mvelaphanda (Mvela) Holdings, a joint venture between Tokyo Sexwale and OZ Management, was behind a USD100 million loan to the Zimbabwean political party Zanu-PF.
Och-Ziff Capital Management Group is one of the companies accused of threatening to block the European attempt to save Greece from defaulting unless they are guaranteed a significant payout. In response, Och-Ziff issued a statement, saying that it did not have a material investment in Greek sovereign debt, nor had it been involved in the debt negotiations.
Palladino Holdings and Mvelaphanda Holdings, affiliates of OZ Management, are connected to a $25 million loan that Palladino lent to the state of Guinea in order to start up a state mining company.
- About Och-Ziff. March 17, 2011
- "The 2011 Hedge Fund 100 Ranking". Institutional Investor, Inc. May 12, 2011.
- Och-Ziff (company website)
- Form 10-Q filing as with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. November 4, 2010
- Daniel Och profile
- Och-Ziff Hoovers Company Profile
- Yahoo Finance Historical Quotes for OZM
- Griffiths, Tony (October 6, 2010). "The HFMWeek 50 most influential people in hedge funds". HFMWeek. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Och-Ziff: Team (company website)
- Och-Ziff, "Press Releases", Och-Ziff (29 January 2008)
- STEFAANS BRÜMMER, CRAIG MCKUNE & OWEN GAGARE, "The investor who saved Mugabe", Mail & Guardian SA (10 August 2012)
- Chu, Ben. "Greek rescue blocked by hedge fund greed", The Independent, London, 18 January 2012.
- Tommy Wilkes (20 January 2012). "Two hedge funds say no material Greek debt holdings". Reuters.
- "Och-Ziff Capital Management Group LLC Issues Statement on Greek Sovereign Debt". Och-Ziff Capital Management. 19 January 2012.
- Craig McKune, Stefaans Brummer and James Wood (june 29, 2012). "Tokyo-linked company in Guinea row". Mail & Guardian.
- Och-Ziff Capital Management (company website)