- a "mambi" colonel, hero of the Cuban War of Independence
- Cuban ambassador to the United States
- Cuban delegate to UNESCO
- signer of the 1940 Constitution of Cuba
- founder of the magazine La Reforma Social (1913-1926) and of El Heraldo de Cuba (1914-1926), a national newspaper which, six months after its founding would become the most widely circulated paper in Cuba with a circulation of 65,000.
- Una mirada sobre tres siglos: Memorias, Orestes Ferrara y Marino - autobiography (in Spanish)
- Candidates for the Executive Board, Curriculum Vitae, Dr. Orestes Ferrara Marino", UNESCO
- Orestes Ferrara - memorial site
Ferrara spoke at rallies against Spanish oppressors for the Cuban exiles in Florida. He often wore his revolutionary garb a uniform that had been used in Garibaldi years in Italy. He went on to lead an expedition to Cuba and fight as a geurrilla with some of his Tampa followers. He eventually rose to numerous positions in the Cuban Republic.