Panchendriya is a sonar suite that has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, India for the submarines of the Indian Navy. It has been described as India's "first indegenously developed sonar system for submarines".
The system has been developed by the Naval Physical Oceanographic Laboratory, Kochi a laboratory under the DRDO in the southern Indian state of Kerala. Initial approval for the project was given in 1987 for their induction into the Navy's Foxtrot-class submarines and was further approved as a measure to shore up indigenous production in sonar technology following a review in 1990. By 1994, development of engineering models and factory testing had been completed. Further tests on the system began in 1997 on board the INS Karanj with a scheduled induction for 2002.
The Panchendriya is a composite submarine sonar and tactical weapons control system that contains active, passive, surveillance, ranging and interception sonars. It also has a submarine communications system built into it.
Panchendriya has been inducted into the Foxtrot submarines, the Sindhughosh-class submarines, the Vela-class submarines and on the Kilo-class submarines as part of their upgradation. It is also part of the indigenously developed Arihant-class submarines.
- "New Sonar system to boost Navy's warfare capability". The Hindu. July 2, 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "INS Arihant makes NPOL scientists proud". New Indian Express. July 27, 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Friedman, Norman (2006). The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. p. 627. ISBN 1557502625.
- Wertheim, Eric (2007). The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft and Systems. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 9781591149552.
- Sakhuja, Vijay (2011). Asian Maritime Power in the 21st Century: Strategic Transactions : China, India and Southeast Asia. Singapore: ISEAS Publications. p. 101. ISBN 9789814311090.
- "Underwater might". Frontline 29 (5). 10–23 March 2012. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "DRDO: Providing the technological edge to the Indian defense". Sankalp India Foundation. Retrieved 8 June 2013.