||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2008)|
|Labels||Rock Street Journal& Channel V|
Aneesh Arora (Ex Lead Guitarist)
Rajat Kakkar (Ex Drummer)
Parikrama (Hindi: परिक्रमा) is a rock and roll band from Delhi, India. They have several live performances and original numbers to their name. The band was officially formed on 17 June 1991 in Delhi. The word parikrama means 'orbital revolutions' in Sanskrit.
The band consists of:
- Nitin Malik – lead vocals
- Sonam Sherpa – lead guitars
- Saurabh Choudhary – guitar
- Subir Malik – organist, synthesizers
- Gaurav Balani – bass guitar
- Srijan Mahajan – drums
- Imran Khan – violins
- Shambu Nath – tabla, percussion
Subir and Nitin are brothers. Subir and Nitin are from the same school, St. Xavier's, Delhi. Subir is the eldest, Nitin is two years younger, All except Nitin, who went to Hindu College, went to Kirorimal College and were part of MUSOC (music society). Saurabh Chaudhry has a degree in business administration.
They are yet to release a full-length album, because they prefer giving out their music for free. They have had millions of downloads from their site and other related pages. They did release a free multimedia CD of their singles and videos in 2001. The band does not have any policies against their music being copied and distributed. They have made their music available for download on their official website.
The band often fuses Indian classical music instruments like mridangam, tabla and flute with conventional instruments like guitar, drums and keyboards. They have been inspired and influenced by the likes of Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors. Sonam Sherpa and Saurabh Chaudhary are proud endorsees of Carl Martin effect pedals.
Parikrama rarely records music in the studio, and most recordings are made in live performances. On being asked in a 2012 interview if they plan a compilation album of live recordings, the band encouraged listeners to download their recordings from Facebook or Reverbnation and "make your own album, the way u want it".
The first song "Xerox" was named 'the face of Indian rock'. Their first hit single "Till I'm No One Again" was released in 1995 along with "Open Skies". It was among thirteen other songs chosen from the demos sent by a hundred and fifty other bands in the country. This release, The Great Indian Rock, volume 1, was produced by Amit Sehgal, owner and publisher of the India's first rockzine: Rock Street Journal.
"But it rained" was released in 1996. This song was dedicated to the kidnappings in the Kashmir Valley, during that period. This song is probably their biggest hit. They were surprised when a crowd of 40,000 sang along with them in their performance for the Iron Maiden concert in Bangalore. Another song, "Gonna Get It", was released in the same year.
Their sixth number in succession was released in 1997: "Load Up".
A Parikrama original "Rhythm and Blues" was created in course of their jam session with Usha Uthup.
- Their first concert was at Father Agnel School, New Delhi, Called "Bandstand", on 15 September 1991, and now have played over 3000 shows.
- They are also credited with self organising and funding India's First ever AIDS awareness concert, called Ban"ne"d AIDS, on 28 September 1992, on the streets of Patel Chest, Delhi University.
- 18 December 2005, Parikrama performed with Saif Ali Khan at the Royal Stag Corporate Carnival, Delhi.
- March 2006, Parikrama performed at Ragam '06 hosted by National Institute of Technology, Calicut, Kerala.
- 20 February 2007, Parikrama performed in Goa for the "Band of the sand" which was held at Calangute beach, as part of the Goa Carnival festival 2007. Parikrama will perform at the Kennedy Center in March 2011, as part of "maximum INDIA", a celebration of the arts and culture of India.
- Parikrama performed at Download Festival in Donington in 2007 on the same day as a warm up to Iron Maiden. At this concert Nitin Malik stated that they were there because Iron Maiden had requested the event organisers for them to be on the billing and it was an honour for them to return the favour of Iron Maiden who travelled to Bangalore, India in March 2007. Again they performed with Maiden in Mumbai. And now they are the official opening band for any Iron Maiden concert in Asia
- The band also supported Iron Maiden at the special Clive Burr MS Trust fund concert at Brixton Academy on 24 June 2007, after coming to the band's attention at the Bangalore show.
- Parikrama toured all the Indian metros, with Saif Ali Khan with a lead guitarist from Kashti the band
- Parikrama opened for Iron Maiden on 1 February 2008 in Mumbai on the first concert of their Somewhere Back in Time World Tour. This was the fourth time they played alongside Iron Maiden.
- 8 September, they performed at Rendezvous 2008, the annual cultural festival of IIT Delhi, Delhi.
- 21 December 2009, Parikrama opened for Porcupine Tree at 'Mood Indigo' IIT, Bombay – Mumbai with Global Metal
- 24 January 2010, Parikrama also performed at Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar during their cultural festival, Blithchron. It was a major event throughout Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar, attended by nearly 5000 people with Vijay Kelkar and his desired team.
- 20 February, Ccntinuing their trans-national journey encompassing different cultures, Parikrama performed at Vivacity 2010, the annual Techno-Cultural-Management fest of The LNM Institute of Information Technology(LNMIIT),jaipur. Scaremonger, Hash and Lycanthropia opened for Parikrama.
- Again on 21 February 2010, they performed at Assam Engineering College during Pyrokinesis, their annual festival.
- 5 March 2010, Parikrama performed at Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University, Manipal during their annual cultural fest "Revels (culfest)"
- 15 March 2010, they performed at National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, during NIMBUS-2010, their annual technical festival.
- 26 March 2010, they performed at Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani – Dubai, during Jashn-2010, the celebration of the university completing 10 years.
- 28 March, Parikrama performed at BITS Pilani – Hyderabad Campus to an audience of young enthusiastic students for their first ever fest Pearl '10.
- 3 April 2010, they performed at Calcutta Institute of Engg. and Management, Kolkata during Celsius, their annual festival.
- 25 April 2010, they performed at Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore for their annual cultural fest JAYCIANA
- 15 May 2010, Parikrama were the main event at the MTV stuntmania auditions held at NSIC grounds in Delhi, they performed last, after a great evening by Circus, Bandish, and Them Clones again with Kashti the band
- 24 July 2010, Parikrama performed at Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow.
- 14 August 2010, Parikrama performed at St. John's Medical College, Bangalore's Fest Autumn Muse's Rock Show, Muse Rock which was Independence Eve Rock that year, Avial (band) also performed at that event in aid of Underprivileged Children's Treatment Fund.
- 12 December 2010, Parikrama performed at Bacardi NH7 Weekender, Pune as the last band for the day.
- 14 January 2011, Parikrama performed at the National Youth Festival 2011 (NYF-2011), being held at Udaipur, Rajasthan
- 22 January 2011, Parikrama performed at Indian Institute of Management Indore during the cultural fest "Mridang"
- 31 January 2011, Parikrama performed at Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur during the cultural fest "blitzschlag"
- 18 February 2011, Parikrama performed at National Institute of Technology, Durgapur during the fest "Recstasy"
- 21 February 2011 Parikrama performed at National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai during their annual cultural fest "Spectrum"
- 27 August 2011, Parikrama performed at UB City, for a fundraiser named Reach[out]. The aim of the fundraiser was to raise money for CRY.
- 12 November 2011, Parikrama performed at Esplanade Theatre in Singapore. They also performed 2 smaller shows in the Esplanade open air theatre on 13 & 14 November 2011
- 25 November 2011, Parikrama performed at Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur during their annual B-school fest "Milestone 35"
- 13 January 2012, Parikrama performed at Sir Padampat Singhania University, Udaipur during their annual techno management festival "Panache'12".
- 22 January 2012, Parikrama performed at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, during their socio-cultural festival Spring Fest'12.
- 20 February 2013, Parikrama performed at the Bandra Fort Amphitheatre as the main event for the Converse: The Original Band Hunt – Mumbai Finale
- 13 March 2012, Parikrama performed at Bengal Institute of Technology, Kolkata during their annual cultural fest "Impulse"
- Recently, the band has given an outstanding performance in the 'TEMPEST' of 'Miranda House College'.
- Recently Parikrama has joined one of the pioneers in digital distribution giants Hungama in their unreleased music venture ArtistAloud.com. According to the band's manager Subir Malik "The reason for this website becoming a path-breaking one is that it's the most organised effort I've seen so far. Finally, there's a site that has nothing to do with Bollywood, and a lot of time and money has gone into marketing it. The music industry is almost over in India; there is no music in MTV either. At least there's someone trying to promote non-commercial music."
- 15 September 2012, Parikrama performed at a charity event called ReachOut conducted by the ISCL (inter student council league) at UB city. The event was completely sold out.
- An explosive performance was delivered by Parikrama on 10 October 2012 at Chitrakoot grounds Mumbai, this was the first gig to raise awareness to support the girl child on the occasion of International Day of the Girl Child.
- 10 November 2012, Parikrama performed at a charity event called 'IMPULSE' conducted by Bluebells School International, New Delhi.
- 11 November 2012, Parikrama performed at Moksha 4.0, the annual cultural festival of NIT Agartala, Agartala and had an exciting night there.
- 21 November 2012, Parikrama performed at second edition of India Music Week Bangalore; here they jammed with Rahul Ram(Indian Ocean), Strings, Agnee, Raghu Dikshit Project, Shilpa Rao and many other artists.
- 28 December 2012, Parikrama performed at City Center Siliguri, Darjeeling.
- 11 January 2013, Parikrama performed at Indian Institute of Technology Madras during their cultural fest "Saarang".
- 13 January 2013, Parikrama performed at The Times Pune Festival Shaniwar Vada, Pune.
- 19 January 2013, Parikrama performed at IIM Lucknow's Manfest, 26th edition of Manfest
- 29 January 2013, Parikrama performed at Great Lakes Institute of Management's " L'ATTITUDE 13" 05",Chennai
- 17 February 2013, Parikrama performed at VNIT's Cultural Festival Aarohi'13.
- 23 February 2013, Parikrama performed at St. Stephens College, during their winter fest Harmony
- 9 March 2013, Parikrama performed at Alliance University, Bangalore, during the Alliance Carnival 2013.
- 11 March 2013, Parikrama mesmerised the crowds by their performance during the cultural fest Incandescence of National Institute of Technology, Silchar.
- 29 September 2013, Parikrama performed at Vadodara during the non-technical festival "Paramarsh" organised by the students of the Faculty of Technology and Engineering, the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
- 9 November 2013, Parikrama performed at PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh, during their cultural fest "PECFEST".
- 23 January 2014, Parikrama performed at St.Xavier's College, Kolkata, during Xavotsav 2014.
- 8 February 2014, Parikrama performed at Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, during Anugoonj 2014.
- 5 March 2014, Parikrama performed at Kirori Mal College, University of Delhi .During RENAISSANCE 2014-The annual fest of college organised by Kirori Mal College President Jashvender Chauhan .
- 22 March 2014, Parikrama performed at Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal during the cultural fest REVELS 2014(http://www.revels14.in/home/).
Famous Songs of Parikrama
- Laminate vai Pakistan
- Am I Dreaming
- Tears of the Wizard
- In The Middle
- Whiskey Blues
- Rhythm & Blues
- But It Rained
- Load Up
- Open Skies
- Till I'm No-One Again
- Le Chaim
- I Believe (with Agnee and Shilpa Rao)
- I believe
- All day I dream of you
- Ganesan, Sharmila (10 February 2006). "Piracy no prob, says Parikrama". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 April 2006.
- "Till I'm No one again". Retrieved 9 April 2006.
- Tyagi, Akshay. "Parikrama – "Don't do drugs!"". The MusicIRIS. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Iron Maiden confirm special Clive Burr show
- The Hindu (Chennai, India) http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chen-arts/chen-music/college-youth-belt-it-out-at-nxg-rockstar/article4299248.ece
|url=missing title (help).