Chesaning Township, Michigan
|Chesaning Township, Michigan|
|• Total||34.7 sq mi (89.8 km2)|
|• Land||34.7 sq mi (89.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||140.1/sq mi (54.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626069|
- The village of Chesaning is located within the township.
- Parshallburg is an unincorporated community within the township at Ditch and Niver Roads.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.7 square miles (90 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,861 people, 1,905 households, and 1,377 families residing in the township. The population density was 140.1 per square mile (54.1/km²). There were 1,992 housing units at an average density of 57.4 per square mile (22.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.33% White, 0.25% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.32% from other races, and 0.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.24% of the population.
There were 1,905 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.4% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.7% were non-families. 24.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.5% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 95.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $40,254, and the median income for a family was $50,233. Males had a median income of $38,854 versus $24,309 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,839. About 4.6% of families and 6.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Chesaning Area Web Site
- The Tri-County Citizen
- Chesaning Union Schools
- Chesaning Chamber
- Chesaning Showboat
- River Rapids District Library, formerly Chesaning Public Library
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Chesaning Township, Michigan
- Saginaw County Map. J. Shively. State of Michigan Department of Information Technology Technology Center for Geographic Information. September 2007.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Chesaning, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Parshallburg, Michigan