A growth in mobile devices, such as the iPhone, which has multiple sensors, has made participatory sensing viable in the large-scale. Participatory sensing can be used to retrieve information about the environment, weather, congestion as well as any other sensory information that collectively forms knowledge.
- Akshay Dua, Nirupama Bulusu, Wu-Chang Feng, and Wen Hu. (2009). "Towards trustworthy participatory sensing". In Proceedings of the 4th USENIX conference on Hot topics in security. HotSec'09. USENIX Association, Berkeley, CA, USA,. pp. 8–8.
- Raghu K. Ganti, Nam Pham, Yu-En Tsai, and Tarek F. Abdelzaher. (2008). "oolView: stream privacy for grassroots participatory sensing". In Proceedings of the 6th ACM conference on Embedded network sensor systems. SenSys '08. ACM, New York, NY, USA. pp. 281–294. doi:10.1145/1460412.1460440.
- Juong-Sik Lee and Baik Hoh. 2010. Sell Your Experiences: A Market Mechanism based Incentive for Participatory Sensing. In Proceedings of the 8th Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (IEEE PerCom'10), IEEE Computer Society, March 29 - April 2, 2010, Mannheim, Germany.
- J. Burke, D. Estrin, M. Hansen, A. Parker, N. Ramanathan, S. Reddy, M. B. Srivastava. 2006. Participatory Sensing. In the Proceedings of the International Workshop on World-Sensor-Web (WSW'2006), ACM, October 31, 2006, Boulder, CO, U.S.A.
- Xinlei (Oscar) Wang, Wei Cheng, Prasant Mohapatra and Tarek Abdelzaher. (2014). "Enabling Reputation and Trust in Privacy-Preserving Mobile Sensing". doi:10.1109/TMC.2013.150.
- Emiliano De Cristofaro and Claudio Soriente. Participatory Privacy: Enabling Privacy in Participatory Sensing Applications. IEEE Network - The Magazine of Global Internetworking, 2012.