Patrick Ward (photographer)
Patrick Ward (b. 1937) is a British photographer who has published collections of his own work on British and other subjects as well as working on commissions for the press.
Life and career
Ward became interested in photography while doing National Service when a friend sent him the book of The Family of Man. He started out as an assistant to the photographer John Chillingworth (previously at Picture Post), and his own work was published in "Manplan" at The Architectural Review, the Observer Magazine, the Sunday Times Magazine, and the Telegraph Magazine.
In his own time, Ward worked on a portrayal of the English at play that resulted in the book Wish You Were Here, published in 1976 by Gordon Fraser in a uniform edition with Homer Sykes' Once a Year. This was also an observation of the class divisions of England.
Commenting on Wish You Were Here and Flags Flying (1977), Daniela Mrázková wrote that "Ward is not a reporter but rather [an] essayist who can relate serious matters in a totally unserious manner. . . ."
Books by Ward
- Wish You Were Here: The English at Play. London: Gordon Fraser, 1976. ISBN 0-900406-70-4. With an introduction and commentary by James Cameron.
- Flags Flying. London: Gordon Fraser, 1977. ISBN 0-86092-000-3.
- Amsterdam. The Great Cities. Amsterdam: Time-Life, 1977. Text by Hans Koning.
- Amsterdam. Die grossen Städte. Amsterdam: Time-Life, 1977. ISBN 90-6182-271-8. (German)
- Amsterdam. Les Grandes Cités. Amsterdam: Time-Life, 1977. (French)
- Amusuterudamu (アムステルダム) / Amsterdam. Raifu sekai no daitoshi. Tokyo: Time-Life, 1978. (Japanese)
- Bike Riders. Harrow House, 1980. Text by various authors.
- Sandhurst: The Royal Military Academy: 250 years. Shrewsbury: Harmony House, 1990. ISBN 0-916509-98-2. Text by David G. Chandler.
- Essentially English. London: Michael O'Mara, 2003. ISBN 1-84317-003-5. New edition self-published at blurb.com, 2008.
- Land of the Free: On the Road in 1980's America Self-published at blurb.com, 2008.
- Wish You Were Here: England at Play in the 1970's. Self-published at blurb.com, 2008.
- Jo and Laszlo's Wedding in a Field. Self-published at blurb.com, 2008.
- Christie's: London's Great Auction House. Self-published at blurb.com, 2010.
- Fallen Angels: Barcelona's Gaudi, Carnaval and Santa Eulalia. Self-published at blurb.com, 2010.
- Londoners! Self-published at blurb.com, 2010. Revised edition, self-published at blurb.com, 2010.
- The Thames: London's Great River from Source to Sea. Self-published at blurb.com, 2010.
Other book appearances
- Discovering Britain and Ireland. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Books, 1985. ISBN 0-87044-598-7. ISBN 0-87044-599-5. Contributor.
- Jay, Bill. Photographers Photographed. Salt Lake City: Peregrine Smith, 1983. ISBN 0-87905-146-9. Ward is one of the photographers photographed.
- Lane, Barry, ed. British Image 2. London: Arts Council of Great Britain, 1976. ISBN 0-7287-0093-X. Ward's series "Games People Play", excerpted from Wish You Were Here, appears on pp. 67–77.
- Perry, Grayson, ed. Unpopular Culture: Grayson Perry Selects from the Arts Council Collection. London: Hayward, 2008. ISBN 1-85332-267-9.
- "Il Regno Unito si diverte". British Council, Milan, 1981. (With Chris Steele-Perkins and Homer Sykes.)
- "The Other Britain". National Theatre (London), and touring in Britain, 1982.
- "There'll Always Be an England!" Stephen Daiter Gallery (Chicago), 2009.
- "The Other Britain Revisited". Victoria and Albert Museum (London), 2010.
- Arts Council
- Royal Institute of British Architects.
- Victoria and Albert Museum (London).
- Daniela Mrázková, Masters of Photography: A Thematic History (Twickenham, Middx: Hamlyn, 1987; ISBN 0-600-35191-2), 192–193.
- Simon Esterson, "The AR’s Manplan is a tactile reminder of a time when magazines lived dangerously", The Eye no. 77. Accessed 2010-10-02.
- Cover blurb for Wish You Were Here (1977).
- Bill Jay, "Magazine memoirs: Creative Camera and Album, 1968–1972", billjayonphotography.com. Accessed 2010-10-02.
- Essentially English at blurb.com.
- Land of the Free at blurb.com.
- Wish You Were Here at blurb.com.
- Jo and Laszlo's Wedding at blurb.com.
- Christie's at blurb.com.
- Fallen Angels at blurb.com.
- Londoners! (first version) at blurb.com.
- Londoners! (revised version) at blurb.com.
- The Thames at blurb.com.
- Exhibition record, British Council. Accessed 2010-01-11. This does not specify the place(s) of exhibition, but the OPAC of the libraries of the Province of Prato lists a publication titled Il Regno Unito si diverte that specifies Milan. Accessed 2010-05-08.
- "The Other Britain Revisited: Photographs from New Society", Victoria and Albert Museum, 2010. Accessed 2010-05-02.
- Patrick Ward, Stephen Daiter Gallery. Accessed 2010-10-02.
- Grayson Perry, Unpopular Culture: Grayson Perry Selects from the Arts Council Collection (London: Hayward, 2008; ISBN 1-85332-267-9).
- Acquisition of Architectural Press archive", RIBA, 13 January 2007. Accessed 2010-10-02.