||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
Peter Boyles (born October 17, 1943) is a radio talk show personality. He had a long-running morning drive-time talk show in Denver, Colorado on 630 KHOW, until May 2013. He now hosts a morning talk show on AM 710 KNUS.
Boyles received national attention in 1997 by his investigation and nearly constant talk about the death of JonBenét Ramsey. In August 2006 he received intense criticism for his belief that John Mark Karr was not involved in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. Boyles was vindicated when "the most expensive DNA test in Colorado history" exonerated Karr.
In February 2009, Boyles sparked controversy in Colorado for repeatedly referring to Democratic U.S. Rep. Diana DeGette of Denver as "Vagina DeGette" / "Vagina DeJet" while on air.
In May 2013 Boyles was suspended from the show after a heated exchange with the show's longtime producer Greg Hollenback. Witnesses reported that Boyles yanked Hollenback's lanyard, which left red marks on Hollenback's neck.
A Colorado Observer editorial expressed that "Boyles is an important figure in our local media and, short of some new and terrible development that no one is reporting, Boyles should keep his job." On 3 June 2013, it was reported that Boyles had been fired.
Salem Communications hired Boyles as its new morning host on News/Talk 710 KNUS as of Monday, July 1 for a 6AM-9AM time slot. When Boyles did not appear, there was speculation that his old employer KHOW had blocked his debut due to a non-compete contract clause. On July 3, 2013 at 6:00am, Boyles' show aired for the first time on 710 KNUS.
KNUS had previously had weak audience ratings for its morning shows, especially compared to KHOW. But in his first month at KNUS, Boyles beat his former employer KHOW in audience ratings for the morning slot.
Boyle's past shows are available as podcasts on the KNUS Podcast Platform
- The Peter Boyles Show, 710 KNUS, October 17, 2013 (8 a.m. hour)
- Michael Roberts, Peter Boyles KHOW program Denver's number one morning show, Westword, 16 Dec. 2010.
- Michael Roberts, Denver radio mornings, KHOW crushing competition, Westword, 20 July 2011.
- Boulder Daily Camera (21 Dec. 1997): "Boyles Boulder", accessed 3 June 2009.
- International Herald Tribune: Costly flight for suspect in Ramsey case defended. 30 August 2006.
- Denver Post (20 February 2009): "Radio programming director says Peter Boyles won't use vulgar term for DeGette again", accessed 3 June 2009.
- Roberts, Michael. "Peter Boyles remains off the air after incident with producer, future uncertain". Denver Westword. Denver Westword, LLC. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Peter Boyles in "heated exchange" with producer at KHOW Radio". The Denver Post. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Vap, Nicole (28 May 2013). "Peter Boyles still off air". 9News. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Our View: Don’t Fire Boyles". The Colorado Observer. The Colorado Observer. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Larson, Jace. "Peter Boyles, radio show host, no longer with KHOW". KUSA (TV). Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "PETER BOYLES TO START NEW TALK SHOW ON KNUS". 27 June 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Peter Boyles a no-show on KNUS (710 AM)". 2 July 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "710 KNUS Website". 710knus.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Michael Roberts, Peter Boyles ratings, Westword, 28 Aug. 2013.