Peter Dobkin Hall
Peter Dobkin Hall (born 1946) is an American author and historian. He is Professor of History and Theory in the School of Public Affairs at  Baruch College, City University of New York, and Senior Research Fellow at the Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations, Harvard University.
Hall was born to David Hall, recorded sound archivist, and Bernice Dobkin. He received his B.A. in American Studies at Reed College in 1968 and his M.A. (1970) and Ph.D. (1973) in American History from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Hall held appointments at Wesleyan (1974-1982), Yale (1973-1999), and Harvard (since 2000). He was a founding member of Yale's Program on Non-Profit Organizations and served as its director, 1996-1999. In 1993, Hall received the John Grenzebach Award for Outstanding Research in Philanthropy for Education from the AAFRC Trust for Philanthropy and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. In 2008, he was given the ARNOVA Award for Distinguished Achievement in Nonprofit and Voluntary Action Research.
Hall edits the Hauser Center blog, Nonprofit News & Comment, a weekly survey of major press coverage of philanthropy, nonprofits, and related topics.
- The Organization of American Culture, 1700-1900: Institutions, Elites, and the Origins of American Nationality (1982) ISBN 0-8147-3415-4 (paperback)
- With Karyl Lee Kibler Hall, The Lehigh Valley: An Illustrated History (1982) ISBN 0-89781-044-9 (hardcover)
- Inventing the Nonprofit Sector and Other Essays on Philanthropy, Voluntarism, and Nonprofit Organizations (1992) ISBN 0-8018-6979-X (paperback)
- With George E. Marcus, Lives in Trust: The Fortunes of Dynastic Families in Late Twentieth Century America (1992) ISBN 0-8133-0464-4 (hardcover) and ISBN 0-8133-0467-9 (paperback)
- Co-edited with N.J. Demerath III, Rhys H. Williams, & Terry Schmitt, Sacred Companies: Organizational Aspects of Religion and Religious Aspects of Organizations (1998) ISBN 0-19-511322-5 (hardcover).
- Co-editor with Colin B. Burke, of the chapter on nonprofit organizations, voluntary associations, and religious entities in "Historical Statistics of the United States, Millennial Edition" (2006) ISBN 139780521817912 (hardcover) and ISBN 139780511132971 (on-line edition)