Peter John Robert Riddell CBE PC is a British journalist and author. From 1991 to 2010 he was a political commentator for The Times and has been an Assistant Editor since 1991. Prior to this, he was US Editor and Washington Bureau Chief at The Financial Times between 1989 and 1991.
He has been a member of the Hansard Society council since 1996 and was elected Chair in 2007. He is a senior fellow at the Institute for Government.
On 6 July 2010 Prime Minister David Cameron announced that Riddell would be one of three members of an inquiry to determine whether British intelligence officers were complicit in the torture of detainees, including those from the Guantanamo Bay detention camp or subject to rendition flights. Riddell joined the Privy Council to permit easier access to secret information, entitling him to the style "The Right Honourable".
Riddell was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for services to journalism and for public services.
- The Thatcher Government (1983), ISBN 978-0-631-14519-6
- The Thatcher Decade (1989), ISBN 978-0-631-16274-2
- The Thatcher Era and Its Legacy (1991), ISBN 978-0-631-18268-9
- Honest Opportunism: The Rise of the Career Politician (1993), ISBN 978-0-575-40039-9
- Parliament Under Pressure (1997), ISBN 978-0-575-06435-5
- Parliament Under Blair (2000), ISBN 978-1-902301-60-0
- Blair Government (2002), ISBN 978-1-902301-74-7
- Hug Them Close: Blair, Clinton, Bush and the 'Special Relationship' (2004), ISBN 978-1-84275-118-3
- The Unfulfilled Prime Minister: Tony Blair's Quest for a Legacy (2006), ISBN 978-1-84275-168-8
- In defence of Politicians (in spite of themselves)" (2011)