Peter Robinson (novelist)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
Peter Robinson in March 2010
March 17, 1950 |
|Notable work(s)||Inspector Alan Banks|
Peter Robinson (born March 17, 1950) is a Canadian crime writer born in Britain. He is best known for his crime novels set in Yorkshire featuring Inspector Alan Banks. He has also published a number of other novels and short stories as well as some poems and two articles on writing.
Life and work
Robinson was awarded with a BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds. He then emigrated to Canada in 1974 and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in English at York University in Toronto. He is best known for the Inspector Banks series of novels set in the fictional Yorkshire town of Eastvale, which have been translated into fifteen languages, but also writes short stories and other novels.
Robinson lives in the Beaches area of Toronto with his wife, Sheila Halladay, and he occasionally teaches crime writing at the University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies. He has taught at a number of Toronto colleges and served as Writer-in-Residence at the University of Windsor, 1992-93.
Inspector Banks series
Set in the fictional English town of Eastvale in the Yorkshire Dales. A former member of the London Metropolitan Police, Inspector Alan Banks leaves the capital for a quieter life in the Dales. Since 2010 several of the novels have been adapted for television under the series title DCI Banks with Stephen Tompkinson in the title role.
- Gallows View (1987)
- A Dedicated Man (1988)
- A Necessary End (1989)
- The Hanging Valley (1989)
- Past Reason Hated (1991)
- Wednesday's Child (1992)
- Dry Bones That Dream (1994) (published in the USA as Final Account)
- Innocent Graves (1996)
- Dead Right (1997) (published in the USA as Blood at the Root)
- Not Safe After Dark (1998) (Short stories; includes three Inspector Banks stories)
- In A Dry Season (1999)
- Cold is the Grave (2000)
- Aftermath (2001)
- The Summer that Never Was (2003) (published in the USA as Close to Home')
- Playing with Fire (2004)
- Strange Affair (2005)
- Piece of My Heart (2006)
- Friend of the Devil (2007)
- All The Colours Of Darkness (2008)
- Bad Boy (2010)
- Watching The Dark (2012)
- Children Of the Revolution (2013)
- Abattoir Blues (2014)
Although Caedmon's Song is a standalone novella, it is related to Friend of the Devil.
- Caedmon's Song (1990)
- The First Cut - American Adaptation of Caedmon's Song (1993)
- No Cure for Love (1995)
- The Price Of Love (2009) (Short stories; includes an Inspector Banks novella and three Banks stories)
- Before The Poison (2011)