Petrus is a Latin name derived from the Greek meaning "rock", and is the common English prefix "petro-" used to describe rock-based substances, like petros-oleum or "rock oil." As the source of Peter, it is a common name for people from antiquity through the medieval era, and may refer to one of the following:
As a name:
- Petrus, Saint Peter, the first pope
- Priest Petrus, 5th century Illyrian priest
- Petrus Abailardus, Latin name for Peter Abelard
- Petrus Alfonsus, Spanish Jewish writer
- Petrus Augustus, curopalates
- Petrus Aureolus
- Petrus Baldus de Ubaldis
- Petrus Bernardinus, Florentine sectarian
- Petrus Canisius, 16th-century German Catholic theologian and polemicist
- Petrus Capuanus or Peter of Capua, an Italian scholastic
- Petrus Christus, (ca. 1410/1420 – ca. 1475/76), Dutch painter
- Petrus de Abano or Pietro d'Abano (1257–1315) Italian philosopher and doctor
- Petrus de Amalfia, 14th-century Italian music theorist
- Petrus de Cruce, late 13th-century composer and author, one of the most significant and influential composers of the late ars antiqua
- Petrus de Natalibus, Venetian hagiographer
- Petrus de Picardia, 13th-century French music theorist
- Petrus de Sancto Dionysio, 14th-century French music theorist
- Petrus Diaconus, several people
- Petrus frater dictus Palma ociosa, 14th-century French music theorist, one of the first to illustrate current musical innovations
- Petrus Jacobus Joubert
- Petrus Le Viser, late 13th-century musician, important in the history of tempo and rhythm
- Petrus optimus notator, 13th-century musical scribe in Paris, important for notating Notre Dame polyphony
- Petrus Peregrinus = Peter de Maricourt, 13th-century French writer on magnetism and astrolabes
- Petrus Ramus
- Petrus Trothun Aurelianis, 13th-century singer of the Notre Dame School
- Petrus (genus), a genus of ray-finned fish
- Lars Petrus, speedcuber and inventor of the Petrus method
- Château Pétrus, a Pomerol Bordeaux wine producer
- Ubi Petrus, Ibi Ecclesia is a popular Roman Catholic motto.
- Tu es Petrus is a music piece of Franz Liszt.
- PETRUS, a short film by Andy Berlin.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.