Decouflé in 2006
October 22, 1961 |
Neuilly-sur-Seine, Paris, France
|Occupation||Director, choreographer, writer|
Philippe Decouflé (born October 22, 1961) is a French choreographer, dancer, mime artist, and theatre director. As a child he travelled extensively around Lebanon and Morocco, before learning his skills as a teenager at the Annie Fratellini Ecole du Cirque and the Marceau Mime School. While frequenting Parisienne nightclubs he discovered and was attracted to contemporary dance, and he eventually moved to the Centre National de la Danse Contemporaine in Angers to study under choreographer Alwin Nicolais. After briefly working as a solo dancer, he formed the Découflé Company of Arts in Bagnolet in 1983, moving it to a former electrical works in the Parisienne suburb of Saint-Denis in 1995.
He has worked for the Lyon Opera Ballet, and choreographed the music video for New Order's "True Faith" and Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy". The former won the "Best Music Video" prize at the 1988 BRIT Awards, while his advertisement for Polaroid won a "Silver Lion" prize at the 1989 Venice Film Festival. On the back of these successes, he was selected to choreograph the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1992 Winter Olympics in front of a global television audience of over two billion people, the 50th anniversary Cannes Film Festival in 1997, and a parade for the 2007 Rugby Union World Cup in Saint-Denis in Paris.
- "Philippe Decoufle: the unclassifiable choreographer", Virginie Oks, France Diplomatie
- "Philippe Decouflé:Just doing his own thing", Patricia Boccadoro, Culture Kiosque, June 3, 1999
- "Philippe Decouflé", Thomas Hahn, Ballet International Actual Dance
- The BRIT Awards 1988, BRIT Awards official site
- "Enjoying the Rugby Union World Cup the French way", Anthony Peregrine, The Daily Telegraph, September 1, 2007
- "Cirque du Soleil prepares for first L.A. rehearsals of 'Iris' at Kodak Theatre". Los Angeles Times. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- Compagnie DCA, official site
- Philippe Decouflé at the Internet Movie Database
- Philippe Decouflé on Facebook