Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society
The current PATAS logo.
|Founder(s)||Marissa Torres-Langseth and John Paraiso|
|Mission||To promote public understanding of atheism and agnosticism;
To eliminate myths and misconceptions about atheism and agnosticism;
To promote social responsibility by replacing superstitious imperatives with rational secular solutions, grounded in lack of supernatural beliefs.
|Method(s)||Education, outreach, advocacy|
|Part of a series on|
The Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS) is a nonprofit organization for the public understanding of atheism and agnosticism in the Philippines. It serves to educate society, and eliminate myths and misconceptions about atheism and agnosticism. It speaks against discrimination of the non-religious, and for equal opportunities as Filipino citizens. PATAS encourages harmonious information exchange among its atheist and agnostic members, and encourages its members to come out and speak for their lack of religious beliefs. The society was founded in February 2011 by Ms. Marissa Torres-Langseth who became its first chairperson and Mr. John Paraiso who became its first president. Effective 2014 January 1, Marissa Torres-Langseth announced her retirement from PATAS to focus on her health and marriage. On 6 January 2014, Yek Lai Fatt became the new PATAS chairman.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (February 2014)|
Coming Out Campaign
One of the activities of the society is a monthly Coming Out Campaign, where they prepare audio and video presentations, as well as inform people about atheism and agnosticism. They do this in public parks and other key areas throughout the Philippines.
Know Your Religion
PATAS also organizes Know Your Religion (KYR) events which entail visits to various religious institutions in the Philippines. Among its objectives is to understand better the culture of religious faith for PATAS members to be able to give first hand reviews and critiques as to what they see, as well as engage in focused group discussions with religious devotees.
Good without Religion
First Atheist and Agnostics Convention
On April 21, 2012 PATAS organized the First Atheists and Agnostics Convention in the Philippines. That was also the first atheists/agnostics convention in Asia. It was a one-day learning event and social gathering of Filipino nonbelievers.
The convention, with its theme: "Filipino non-belief--are you ready for this?", also served as a venue for the public exposure for socially-involved and organized community of Filipino nonbelievers.
- This is the international address or location.
- Admin (2011-05-19). "About PATAS". Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Duke, Barry (2011-04-28). "The Pope’s gonna have a cow. Catholic Philippines gains its first atheist society.". The Freethinker. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Pinoy atheists and agnostics to have 'coming out' event". ABS-CBN News. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- Termulo, Tess (2014-01-06). "Mr. Yek Lai Fatt is the New PATAS Chairman". Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS). Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Zamora, Ilving (2012-01-12). "The FIRST Atheists/Agnostics Convention In Asia!". Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Sathepine (2011-08-08). "An Atheist Convention in a Religious Nation". Philippine Atheists and Agnostics Society (PATAS). Philippine Atheist and Agnostics Society. Retrieved 2013-12-12.