phpMyAdmin main screen
|Developer(s)||The phpMyAdmin Project|
|Initial release||September 9, 1998|
|Stable release||4.0.10 (December 4, 2013[±])|
|Preview release||4.1.0-rc3 (December 7, 2013[±])|
|Available in||Multilingual (72)|
|Type||Web database management|
|License||GNU General Public License 2|
phpMyAdmin is a free and open source tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL with the use of a web browser. It can perform various tasks such as creating, modifying or deleting databases, tables, fields or rows; executing SQL statements; or managing users and permissions.
Tobias Ratschiller, then an IT consultant and later founder of the software company Maguma, started to work on a PHP-based web front-end to MySQL in 1998, inspired by MySQL-Webadmin. He gave up the project (and phpAdsNew, of which he was also the original author) in 2000 because of lack of time.
By that time, phpMyAdmin had already become one of the most popular PHP applications and MySQL administration tools, with a large community of users and contributors. In order to coordinate the growing number of patches, a group of three developers registered The phpMyAdmin Project at SourceForge and took over the development in 2001. SourceForge hosts the software download. 
Features provided by the program include:
- Web interface
- MySQL database management
- Import data from CSV and SQL
- Export data to various formats: CSV, SQL, XML, PDF (via the TCPDF library), ISO/IEC 26300 - OpenDocument Text and Spreadsheet, Word, Excel, LaTeX and others
- Administering multiple servers
- Creating PDF graphics of the database layout
- Creating complex queries using Query-by-Example (QBE)
- Searching globally in a database or a subset of it
- Transforming stored data into any format using a set of predefined functions, like displaying BLOB-data as image or download-link
- Live charts to monitor MySQL server activity like connections, processes, CPU/Memory usage, etc.
Chive is a MySQL database management tool intended as an alternative to phpMyAdmin. 
- "phpMyAdmin - About". phpMyAdmin devel team. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Delisle, Marc (2010). Mastering phpMyAdmin 3.3.x for Effective MySQL Management. Packt Publishing. p. 359. ISBN 978-1-84951-354-8.
- phpMyAdmin history
- "ChangeLog". phpMyAdmin. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- phpMyAdmin 3.3.0 is released
- phpMyAdmin 3.5.0 is released
- phpMyAdmin 4.0.0 is released
- "phpMyAdmin". phpMyAdmin. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Translations". phpMyAdmin. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Team". phpMyAdmin. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "phpPgAdmin - start". Phppgadmin.sourceforge.net. 2012-03-22. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Database management in single PHP file". Adminer. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Chive - Web-based MySQL Admin Interface". Chive-project.com. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to phpMyAdmin.|
- Official website
- phpMyAdmin source code on GitHub
- phpMyAdmin documentation on Readthedocs
- phpMyAdmin demo server
- phpMyAdmin translation project on Weblate
- phpMyAdmin project page on SourceForge