|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
In computing. Physical-to-Virtual ("P2V" or "p-to-v") involves the process of decoupling and migrating a physical server's operating system (OS), applications, and data from that physical server to a virtual-machine guest hosted on a virtualized platform.
Methods of P2V migration
User manually creates a virtual machine in a virtual host environment and copies all the files from OS, applications and data from the source machine.
Performing a P2V migration using a tool that assists the user in moving the servers from physical state to virtual machine.
- Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 Migration Toolkit, HOWTO: Guideline for use Virtual Server Migration ToolKit (KB555306)
- VMware provides a semi-automated tool called VMware Converter for moving physical servers into virtual environments for Windows XP or later systems. Converter replaces two older utilities: Importer (bundled with VMware Workstation) and P2V Assistant.
- Oracle's Virtual Box has a Linux-based tool which allows the conversion of a dd image of an existing hard drive
- Microsoft provides the SysInternals disk2vhd utility for making images from Windows XP or later systems to be used with Windows Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual Server or Hyper-V.
- openQRM, an open-source datacenter management platform, does P2V (and V2P, V2V or P2P).
- Storix's bare-metal recovery product (System Backup Administrator) provides P2V and V2P capabilities for Linux, AIX, and Solaris.
Fully automated P2V
Performing a P2V migration using a tool that migrates the server over the network without any assistance from the user.
- vContinuum vContinuum by InMage systems is an automated P2V data protection/migration tool
- Symantec System Recovery enables fast, automated P2V and V2P conversions
- Quest vConverter is an example of a fully automated migration tool for P2V.
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager SCVMM among many other capabilities has P2V capability.
- Leostream is an example of a fully automated migration tool for P2V.
- PlateSpin Migrate is an example of a fully automated migration tool for P2V (and V2P, V2V or P2P).
- Virtuozzo contains automatic P2V (and V2P) migration tools.
- SanXfer by InQuinox is an automated server and data migration tool for P2V, V2P, and P2P with complete (server and storage) hardware independence.
- Muller, Al; Wilson, Seburn (2005). "Chapter 6: Physical-to-Virtual Migrations". Configuring VMware ESX Server 2.5. Syngress. p. 139. ISBN 9780080488578. Retrieved 2013-07-24. "The concept of this p-to-v process, or any p-to-v process, is really quite simple: you are making a copy of your hard drive and piping it eventually into a virtual server."
|This computing article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|