Type of site
|Public domain imagery|
|Available in||Multilingual (26)|
|Launched||November 24, 2010|
|1.156 (March 2015[update])|
Pixabay.com is an international community for sharing quality public domain images. The website was first developed in Germany by Hans Braxmeier and Simon Steinberger. Since March 2015 Pixabay offers more than 350.000 free photos and vector graphics, contributed by photographers and illustrators of its community.
The enterprise was founded in November 2010 in Ulm, Germany. In March 2012, Pixabay was redesigned, switching from a personal image collection into an interactive online community, supporting 20 languages. In May the same year, a public Application Programming Interface (API) was launched, allowing third party users and website developers to search Pixabay's image database. Today, the API is being used by the designer community Psykopaint, and inside Jimdo's WYSIWYG homepage editor. Along with Flickr, YouTube and Wikimedia Commons, in June 2012, Pixabay was included on Creative Commons' official CC search site. On a regular basis, Pixabay received attention in international print and online magazines.
On Pixabay, users can obtain full quality images, free of copyrights and without having to register. To contribute images, however, registration is required. By uploading files, authors waive their copyright and related image rights under Creative Commons deed CC0, thus permitting free usage of their work. Consequently anyone is allowed to use, modify and redistribute the images freely - even in commercial applications - without asking for permission and without accreditation. To ensure both a high quality standard and the suitability concerning the field of Public Domain, all uploaded images are approved manually by staff members of the website.
About 27% of Pixabay's visitors speak English, 20% Spanish, 11% Portuguese, 7% German, and 5% speak French. Users are mainly bloggers, graphics designers, authors, journalists and advertisers.
Pixabays backend is written in the Python based web framework Django, running on an Nginx server with PostgreSQL as database system. The internal search is working on a Lucene based ElasticSearch server.
- "Pixabay.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "About Pixabay". Pixabay.com. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "Jimdo Blog". Jimdo.com. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Pixabay: More Than 40,000 Completely Free Photos And Illustrations". Noupe. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "商用・非商用を問わず完全フリーで使えるハイクオリティな画像検索サイト「Pixabay」". Gigazine. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "HVG - 65 ezer ingyenes, korlátozás nélkül letölthető fantasztikus kép". Hvg.hu. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Das sind die besten kostenlosen Fotodatenbanken". Welt.de. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Von Rainer Schuldt, 14.06.2012, 19:00 Uhr (2012-06-20). "Tolle Bilder zum Nulltarif". Computerbild.de. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Yahoo Nachrichten - 6 Datenbanken mit Gratis-Bildern". De.nachrichten.yahoo.com. 2011-04-20. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Page 12/2012, "Low-Budget-Bildquellen", p. 70-74, www.page-online.de
- "Alexa / Unpublished data based on Google Analytics". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Pixabay powered by new server" (in German). Pixabay.com. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Pixabay.com Technology Profile". WebTechster. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Images from pixabay.|