Panorama of Plav
|• Mayor||Skender Šarkinović (DPS)|
|• Ruling party||DPS - BS|
|• Total||486 km2 (188 sq mi)|
|Population (2003 census)|
|• Density||28/km2 (70/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||+382 51|
|ISO 3166-2 code||ME-13|
Plav is the centre of Plav Municipality (population of 13,805).
Plav is surrounded by beautiful and wildly varying mountainous scenery. The area abounds in lakes and the most known is Lake Plav, one of the largest and most beautiful in this region. The lakes Hrid and Visitor are mountain lakes, and Visitor is noted for its floating island.
Plav is also renowned for its karst wells, among which are Ali Pasha of Gucia Springs and Oko Skakavica. Old library, Old mosque, Holy Trinity Church at Brezojevići, and the Tower of the Redžepagići are only a part of the cultural heritage of this town. Villages in the municipality include Gusinje.
Plav and Gusinje has a very active and fun nightlife. There are lots of tourist attractions.
The settlement of Plav itself was founded by the Ottoman Empire. The Ottoman census organized in 1582—1583 registered the Plav nahiyah within the Sanjak of Scutari with 18 villages; all inhabitants had personal names with a Serbian character, and no Muslims were present.
|This section is outdated. (November 2010)|
In the area of the Plav municipality there are 13 sports clubs and societies that are actively engaged in sports and competitions. Some are in the First Montenegrin league and some in the Second Montenegrin league.
- Football Club "Jezero" Plav
- Football Club "Gusinje" Gusinje
- Football Club "Polimlje" Murino
- Handball Club "Plav"
- Chess Club "Jezero" Plav
- Karate Club "Jezero" Plav
- Kik boxing club "ARISTON" Plav
- Kayak club "Plavsko Jezero" Plav
- Sport fishing society Plavsko Jezero "Plav
- Mountaineering skiing society "Kofiljaca" Plav
- Skiing-mountain society "Karanfil" Gusinje
- Mountaineering Society "Visitor" Plav
- Hunting Society "rocks" Plav
- Hunting sports society "May carnation" Gusinje
The most important traditional sporting events in Plav are: - Montenegro-Winter Cup, auto racing that takes place in January; - Sailing Regatta "Kup Plavskog Jezera" which is held in early July;
Water sports are held during July and August to Plavskom jezero (jumps in the water, kayak competition, swim across lake ...)
Plav is administrative centre of Plav municipality, which in 2003 had a population of 13,805, mostly Bosniaks. The town of Plav itself has 3,615 citizens, and the other significant settlement in the municipality is Gusinje, with its 1,704 inhabitants.
Population of Plav (city):
- 1981 - 3,348
- 1991 - 4,073
- 2003 - 3,165
- Vasić, Milan (1991) "Etnički odnosi u jugoslovensko-albanskom graničnom području prema popisnom defteru sandžaka Skadar iz 1582/83. godine" Stanovništvo slovenskog porijekla u Albaniji : zbornik radova sa međunarodnog naučnog skupa održanog u Cetinju 21, 22. i 23. juna 1990 (in Serbo-Croatian) OCLC 29549273
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plav.|