|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
Power Plate is a brand of vibrating platform used as exercise equipment. It consists of a vibrating base, which may vibrate up and down approximately 1 to 2 millimetres (39 to 79 thou) (1/16") 25 to 50 times per second.
The machine is large enough to accommodate a person in deep squat. Traditional exercises such as squats and push-ups are done on the vibrating base. People typically do a series of exercises for 30 seconds to one minute each on the machine, with rests of a similar duration.
Makers claim that using the Power Plate for 10 minutes is equivalent to 60 minutes of conventional exercise. In order to develop strength, power, muscle tone, and definition, conventional exercises are conducted putting tension on the muscles while standing on the Power Plate.
The brand has self promoted the machine by highly publicizing its use by celebrities, such as Madonna, Jonathan Ross, Donatella Versace, Claudia Schiffer, and Natalie Imbruglia. Stevie Nicks has said that the Power Plate machine is a central part of her exercise regimen.
The muscle-activation technique through vibration was initially studied by Russian scientist Vladimir Nazarov; it found application in the Russian space program helping to prevent astronauts' muscles and bones wasting in space. A commercial version of the machine was marketed by Guus van der Meer and others since 1999 under the name Power Plate. The Power Plate accelerates mainly in a vertical direction in an almost perfect sine wave.
- Bautmans, Ivan; Ellen Van Hees, Jean-Claude Lemper and Tony Mets (2005-12-22). "The feasibility of whole body vibration in institutionalised elderly persons and its influence on muscle performance, balance and mobility: a randomised controlled trial". BMC Geriatrics 5: 17. doi:10.1186/1471-2318-5-17. PMC 1368976. PMID 16372905. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Heyward, Vivian H (2006). "power+plate"+vibration Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription. Human Kinetics. p. 159. ISBN 978-0-7360-5732-5. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Hall, Joanna (2007-05-05). "All you need to know about: Power-plate". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Camber, Rebecca (2006-07-18). "Madonna looks amazing thanks to £7,000 vibrating plate". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Baker, K. C. (2009-03-31). Stevie Nicks: How I Look Fabulous at 60. People, 31 March 2009. Retrieved on 2012-01-21 from http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20269012,00.html.
- Campbell, Denis (2003-09-07). "Gyms now offer 'passive exercise' machine that's no sweat". The Observer (Guardian News and Media Ltd.). Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Pel JJM, et al. Platform accelerations of three different whole-body vibration devices and the transmission of vertical vibrations to the lower limbs. Med Eng Phys (2009), doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2009.05.005