Private Media Group
|Traded as||OTC Pink: PRVT
|Industry||SIC 272 - Periodicals Publishing, or Publishing and Printing|
|Founded||1965Stockholm, Sweden(as Private Magazine) in|
|Founder||Berth Milton, Sr.|
Chairman President CFO CEO
|Products||DVDs, Magazines, Licensing, Online dating service, movies & sex toys|
|Services||Online media, Pay-per-view, Video on Demand, IPTV, Cable & Satellite television|
|€(957,000) thousand (2013)|
|Profit||€(1.292) million (2013)|
|Total assets||€6.838 million (2013)|
|Total equity||€(8.857) million (2013)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references
Income information in parenthesis ( ) should be read as negative amounts and considered a loss per SEC Filings
Private Media Group, Inc. is a production and distribution company that distributes adult entertainment via print publications, DVDs, the internet, and mobile.
Private magazine was established in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1965 as the world's first full-color hardcore magazine by Berth Milton, Sr. In the early 1990s, his son Berth Milton, Jr. took over and moved the company's headquarters to Sant Cugat del Vallès, Barcelona, Spain, although the company is incorporated in Nevada. Milton also started to produce movies and internet content, and in 1999, Private became the first adult entertainment company to be traded on the NASDAQ stock market. The company was de-listed by NASDAQ on November 15, 2011 because its shares did not met the exchange’s $1 minimum price for 30 days.
Private releases 10-12 new films every month, owns the largest original content adult movie library, has multi-lingual websites and offers its content through DVD, Video on Demand (VOD), Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), PSP, mobile and magazines. It supplies adult entertainment films to thousands of major hotels around the world through their Hotel Pay Per View servies. The company also runs the adult channels Private TV (Europe) and Private Gold (Latin America)
In 1998 the company launched Private Circle, a designer clothing label, at the Cannes Film Festival. The label would later be changed to Private Clothing and a boutique would be opened in Los Angeles.
In August 2008 Private Media Group announced it had established an alliance with Marc Dorcel to collaborate in the home video market. The collaboration starts with a three-year DVD distribution agreement for France and it's expected that Private and Dorcel will explore additional opportunities in other territories. It's also expected that Private and Dorcel will join forces in distribution platforms including Internet and IPTV/VOD in both France and across the EU.
Private's 2009 acquisitions of video on demand companies Gamelink LLC and Sureflix, and the ecommerce technology firm eLine LLC estatblished it as the world's leading adult content and distribution company in the digital media sector.
In June 2014 Private announced the released of its full archive of images and (film and video) scenes dating back to the 1960s when Private magazine launched in Sweden. The material is available via a website, PrivateClassics.com.
The Company does not produce movies, it acquires content from independent producers. As of December 31, 2010, the Company’s movie library contained 1,443 movie titles. Private Media Group distributes its productions worldwide via digital files and digital masters. The Company licenses its movies to IPTV, cable and satellite television networks and adult pay-per-view television channels. These licenses generally grant the operator a specific right of transmission and the Company retains the rights of every production. DVDs are sold or rented in video stores, sex shops, newsstands and other retail outlets, and where permitted, through direct mail. The Company also licenses the right to use its content to In-Room Entertainment operators. It has entered into distribution agreements in Europe, North America and Australia. Under these distribution agreements the Company provides its back catalogue of titles and all its new titles each month during the term of the agreement, and a licensee normally serves as the distributor throughout its own country or language territory.
The Company generates revenues from wireless deals both on and off portal. During the year ended December 31, 2010, the distribution of Private content was available to 1.5 billion handsets via 114 mobile network operators in 37 countries.
The Company’s publishing operations include the publication of the adult magazines. All of these magazines are distributed in Europe, North America and Australia. During 2010, it distributed approximately 45,000 copies of its print publications, packaged together with its DVDs, per month. The Company’s magazines are distributed to newsstands and other public retail outlets, through a network of national distributors, who maintain a local network of wholesale and retail distributors. The Company prints and ships its magazines from Barcelona, Spain.
Private is known for high-budget, adult movies, such as the two-part series Millionaire, directed by Alessandro del Mar, with a reported budget of $1.9 million. In the last few decades, Private has earned more than 130 adult industry awards. The film Millionaire alone earned 16 Venus Award nominations in 2004. Best-selling releases include the Private Gladiator series, Cleopatra, Millionaire and Chateau.
The following is a selection of some of the major awards Private films have won:
- 1994 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Private Video Magazine 1)[dead link]
- 1995 AVN Award – Best Counting Video Series (Private Video Magazine)[dead link]
- 1995 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Virgin Treasures 1 & 2)[dead link]
- 1996 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (The Tower, Parts 1, 2 & 3)[dead link]
- 1996 AVN Award – Most Outrageous Sex Scene (Private Video Magazine 20)[dead link]
- 1997 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (The Pyramid, Parts 1, 2 & 3)[dead link]
- 1998 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (The Fugitive 1 & 2)[dead link]
- 1999 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Tatiana 1, 2 & 3)[dead link]
- 2000 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Amanda's Diary 2)[dead link]
- 2001 AVN Award – Best Foreign Vignette Series (Private XXX)[dead link]
- 2003 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Private Gladiator)[dead link]
- 2004 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (The Scottish Loveknot)[dead link]
- 2006 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Robinson Crusoe on Sin Island)[dead link]
- 2007 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Porn Wars: Episode 1)[dead link]
- 2007 Eroticline Award - Best European Film (The Sexual Adventures of Little Red)
- 2009 AVN Award – Best BDSM Release (House of Sex and Domination)[dead link]
- 2009 AVN Award – Best Foreign Feature (Jason Colt, Mystery of the Sexy Diamonds)[dead link]
From March 28, 2012, Charles Prast was appointed by the Board of Directors as the Company’s President, Chief Executive Officer and Interim Chief Financial Officer. In 2008, as a result of the company’s continuing transition from traditional to digital content distribution, DVD and magazine sales decreased, but they were offset by increased Internet, wireless and broadcasting sales. Milton expects Internet, wireless and broadcasting sales to increase significantly given the rapid growth of these platforms.
- "PRIVATE MEDIA GROUP, INC. 10-Q". SEC. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Morais, Richard (6 June 1999). "Porn goes public". Forbes. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Green, Tim. "Private Media de-lists from NASDAQ". Mobile Entertainment. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Veash, Nicola (25 July 1999). "Porn hits the high street as hardcore merchants challenge big-name fashion labels". Guardian News. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Herman-Cohen, Valli (9 February 2001). "For Clothing Line, Sex Doesn't Sell--but It Does Finance". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Private Clothing Opens Fashion Boutique in Los Angeles - PRIVATE MEDIA GROUP INC". PRVT. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- "PRIVATE MEDIA GROUP ANNOUNCES LANDMARK STRATEGIC ALLIANCE WITH MARC DORCEL". Private Media Group Press Releases. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "PRIVATE MEDIA GROUP COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF LEADING U.S. ONLINE DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM GAMELINK AND CREATES GLOBAL DIGITAL POWERHOUSE". Private Media Group Press Releases. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "PRIVATE MEDIA GROUP Completes Acquisition Of Leading Online Distribution Platform SUREFLIX". Private Media Group Press Releases. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Smithberg, Allen. "Private Releases Full Media Archive on PrivateClassics.com". AVN.com. Adult Video News. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Private U.S.A. Sets Release Date For Multimillion-Dollar Feature, Millionaire, AVN Media Network, 3 September 2004
- Said, Sammy (13 March 2013). "Top Adult Entertainment Companies in the World". TheRichest.com. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "AVN - Jesse Jane Named Best Actress USA at Venus Awards". Business.avn.com. 2004-10-21. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "AVN AWARDS PAST WINNERS". AVN. Retrieved 13 March 2009.
- "THE 2009 AVN AWARDS WINNERS". AVN. Retrieved 7 March 2009.