Scent of a Woman (1974 film)
|Scent of a Woman|
|Directed by||Dino Risi|
|Produced by||Pio Angeletti
Adriano De Micheli
|Written by||Rugger Maccari
|Music by||Armando Trovajoli|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox (USA)|
|Running time||103 minutes|
Scent of a Woman (Italian: Profumo di donna) is a 1974 Commedia all'italiana film directed by Dino Risi, based on Il buio e il miele, a story by Giovanni Arpino. Both Risi and the leading actor Vittorio Gassman won important Italian and French awards. There is also an American remake, Scent of a Woman.
A blind Italian captain, accompanied by his aide Ciccio, who has been assigned to him by the army, is on his way from Turin to Naples to meet with an old comrade who was also disfigured in the same military incident. Unknown to his aide, the Captain means to fulfill a suicide pact there. While they journey, the Captain asks Ciccio to help him spot beautiful women. Unsatisfied with the boy's descriptions, he uses his nose instead, claiming that he can smell a beautiful woman. During their journey, he carries with him a picture of his beloved Sara, whom he could not bear to have see him disfigured and helpless. The suicide pact is eventually thwarted once Sara enters the picture, and the boy Ciccio does some much-needed growing up.
- Vittorio Gassman: Fausto Consolo
- Alessandro Momo: Giovanni Bertazzi
- Agostina Belli: Sara
- Moira Orfei: Mirka
- Torindo Bernardi: Vincenzo
- Alvaro Vitali: Vittorio
- Profumo di donna was nominated for Two Academy Awards in 1976 as Best Foreign Film, and as Best Writing, Screenplay Adapted From Other Material.
- David di Donatello, Best Actor (Vittorio Gassman), 1975
- David di Donatello, Best Director (Dino Risi), 1975
- Nastro d'Argento, Best Actor (Vittorio Gassman), 1975
- 1975 Cannes Film Festival, Best Actor (Vittorio Gassman)
- César Award for Best Foreign Film, 1976
- List of submissions to the 48th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Italian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "The 48th Academy Awards (1976) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "Festival de Cannes: Profumo di donna". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Profumo di donna at the Internet Movie Database
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|