RENFE Class 340
|RENFE Class 340|
RENFE 340 020 (previously 4020) in the National Railway Museum in Madrid
|Type and origin|
|Builder||Krauss-Maffei 4000 to 4010
4011 onwards : Babcock & Wilcox
|Gauge||1,668 mm (5 ft 5 21⁄32 in)|
|Length||19.75 m (64 ft 9.6 in) (20.35 m or 66 ft 9.2 in over buffers)|
|Width||4.25 m (13 ft 11.32 in)|
|Height||4.35 m (14 ft 3.26 in)|
|Locomotive weight||88 t (87 long tons; 97 short tons)|
|Fuel capacity||5,000 L (1,100 imp gal; 1,300 US gal)|
|Prime mover||2 Maybach diesel model MD 870 |
|Transmission||Hydraulic Maybach Mekydro K 184 BT|
|Power output||2 x 2,000 hp (1,500 kW)|
The Class 340 of Renfe (4000 under the previous numbering scheme) were a class of 4 axle diesel-hydraulic locomotives built by Krauss-Maffei (and Babcock & Wilcox) for the Spanish Railways. The design is similar in outward appearance and technology to the DB Class V 200. 32 units were built.
Background and History
The contract consisted of a series of 32 units which were shipped between 1966 and 1969, ten manufactured in Germany by Krauss-Maffei and the remaining twenty-two manufactured Spain by Babcock & Wilcox. The locomotives were similar to the V 200.1 Series of the Deutsche Bundesbahn, but with more power, more weight and slightly longer.
The units were conceived as locomotives for passenger services, with a maximum speed of 130 km/h (81 mph) but then were also used for freight trains which together with inadequate maintenance led to many failures in this series.
None are currently in service and 30 of the 32 units have been scrapped, the 4020 (RENFE 340 020) is in the Museo del Ferrocarril de Madrid and the 4026 (RENFE 340 026) is in the process of being restored by the AZAFT (Asociación Zaragozana de Amigos del Ferrocarril y Tranvías).
- Serie 340 (ex 4000) Class 340 (formerly 4000) wefer.com
- RENFE 340 v200-116.de
- Colecciones: Sala de Tracción - Diesel : 4020 Krauss-Maffei museodelferrocarril.org
- RENFE 340 LA TRACCION DIESEL, ISBN / EAN: 9788495493149, ISBN 84-95493-14-4, Author(s): Josep Miquel & Eduard Ramirez
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RENFE Class 340.|
- Museo del Ferrocarril de Madrid Spanish national rail museum website
- Photographs of the Class 340 fototrenes.tranvia.org
- Images of Class 340 from railfaneurope.net
- List of class 340 locomotives www.listadotren.es