Robin K Dhowan
|Admiral Robin K Dhowan|
Admiral Robin K Dhowan
|Years of service||1975-present|
Admiral Robin K Dhowan PVSM AVSM YSM ADC is the current Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy. He assumed office on 17 April 2014, succeeding Admiral D.K. Joshi. He is the 22nd navy chief of India.
Admiral Dhowan was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 1 January 1975 after graduating from the National Defence Academy (45th Course, Charlie squadron). He was honoured with a "telescope" for being the "Best Cadet", and was later awarded the 'Sword of Honour' on completion of his midshipman training. He is a "Navigation and Direction" specialist; and during his career he has commanded the missile corvette INS Khukri, and guided missile destroyers INS Ranjit and INS Delhi. After his elevation to flag rank, he served in various staff and instructional assignments. He was the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Policy and Plans) in the Integrated Headquarters (Navy) and then commanded the Eastern Fleet as Flag Officer Commanding. He also served as the Chief of Staff at Headquarters Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam and the Chief Staff Officer (Operations) at the Western Naval Command. From 2002 to 2005, he was the Naval Adviser in the Indian High Commission at London. He then took charge as the Commandant of the National Defence Academy Khadakvasla, and later served as a Deputy Chief of Naval Staff. He was appointed as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff in August 2011. After the resignation of Admiral Joshi in February 2014 following two submarine accidents, he was made acting chief, and finally promoted to the Chief of the Naval Staff by the Government of India in April 2014. He has never commanded any of India’s three naval commands — hence his appointment as the CNS is a significant departure from practice in the Indian Armed Forces.
- Robin Dhowan takes over as Navy chief The Times of India
- MoD moves files for appointing R K Dhowan as new Navy Chief The Indian Express
- "Admiral R.K. Dhowan appointed new Navy chief". The Hindu. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Meet Robin K Dhowan, India's new Navy Chief". NDTV. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Tasks before the Navy chief". The Hindu. 21 April 2014. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Admiral Robin Dhowan is new Chief of Naval Staff". Indian Navy. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
Devendra Kumar Joshi
|Chief of the Naval Staff
2014 to present