RTÉ Executive Board
The Executive Board is chaired by the Director-General of RTÉ. The board is made up of the Managing Directors of Television, Radio, News, the Chief Financial Officer and the Director of Communications. The Director-General is appointed by the Authority while the other board members are appointed by the Director-General. Currently members of the board are:
- Noel Curran, Director General
- Glen Killane, MD Television
- Conor Hayes, CFO
- Claire Duignan, MD Radio
- Kevin Bakhurst, MD News and Current Affairs
- Brian Dalton,MD Corporate Development
- Bride Rosney, Communications
The group is responsible for the management of the corporation on a day-to-day basis. Despite its name, the board was not a board of directors, but rather is a management team. As RTÉ was not legally a company as defined by the Companies' Acts, it did not have a board of directors as such. However that role is filled by the RTÉ Authority, who were the statutory body charged with running RTÉ under the Broadcasting Authority Acts 1960-2002. The Authority was however a part-time non-executive body, while the members of the Board work full-time for RTÉ and are full-time executives of the corporation.This will change following the enactment of the Broadcasting Act 2009 and RTÉ will become a semi-state company under the Companies Acts.
The Executive Board reports to the RTÉ Board through the Director General.
As RTÉ is a state owned corporation, the Executive thus has responsibility to those householders with a television that pay the TV licence. It should be pointed out however, that legal responsibility for the service rests with the Board of Radio Telifís Éireann and not the Executive.
Mission to Prey
- "About RTÉ". RTÉ News. 30 January 2007.
- Television Licences-Information from CitizensInformation.ie
- Broadcasting Authority Act 1960, Section 16
- "RTÉ MD of News & Current Affairs Ed Mulhall retires, changes to current affairs announced". RTÉ News. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.