|Directed by||B. N. Reddy|
|Produced by||B. N. Reddy|
|Narrated by||D.V. Narasa Raju
Rekha (Child Artist)
|Music by||Saluri Rajeswara Rao
Rangula Ratnam is a Telugu movie directed by B. N. Reddy, starring Chandra Mohan, Vanisri and Anjali Devi, under the banner of Vahini pictures. It is a social and political sattire involving a middle-class family in the backdrop of politics and elections. The film won National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu and golden Nandi Award for the best movie. B. N. Reddy introduced many stalwarts like Chandra Mohan, Vanisri, Rekha and Vijaya Nirmala as young artists to the film industry with this movie.
A united family of two brothers and a sister along with their parents move to a town. Elder brother (Suryam - Ram Mohan) finds easy way to get rich and marries the daughter of a rich politician and abandons his family. After their father expires, tragedy hits the family. The younger brother Vasu (Chandra Mohan) sticks with the family to take care of his mother (Anjali Devi) and sister (Vijaya Nirmala).
Chandra Mohan supports his family and also believes in common good for society. He falls in love with a co-artist who performs with him in stage dramas and performances and who is from another class in society.
Eventually, both brothers find themselves on the opposite sides while competing in the elections. During this struggle, family differences increase and their mother gets injured. The movie ends with the two brothers reconciling their differences.
- Producer - B. N. Reddy
- Director - B. N. Reddy
- Background Music - Saluri Rajeswara Rao and B. Gopalam
- Dialogue - D.V. Narasa Raju and Palagummi Padmaraju
- Playback singers: Ghantasala, P. B. Srinivas, P. Suseela, S. Janaki, A. P. Kamala, B. Vasantha, B. Gopalam, Madhavapeddi Satyam and Pithapuram Nageswara Rao.
- Lyrics : Kosaraju, Dasarathi and C. Narayana Reddy
- Camera : U. Rajagopal
- Suryam - Ram Mohan
- Vasu - Chandra Mohan
- Vanisri - wife of Vasu
- Sukanya - wife of Suryam
- Pushpavalli - wife of Ramana Reddy
- Anjali Devi - mother
- Krishna Murthi - Father
- Vijaya Nirmala - sister
- Baby Bhanurekha - Tyagaraju's daughter (daughter of Puspavalli in real life - Rekha (Famous Hindi Actress)
- Ramana Reddy
All songs were composed by Saluri Rajaswara Rao and B. Gopalam, and written by the great lyricists in Telugu. Many of the songs are successful melodies. They fall in four classes, devotional used as prayers in a middle-class family, sad songs amid hardships, romantic songs and patriotic and social songs during elections.
- Chepa Rupamuna ... Kurma Rupuvai ... PannagaSayana - depicts dasavarathams of Lord Vishnu, written by Dasarathi and sung by A. P. Komala and M.L. Vasantha Kumari.
- Nadireyi Eee jamulo - prayer to Balaji, god at Tirumala written by Dasarathi and sung by Ghantasala and S. Janaki.
- Kanarani Devude Kanipinchinade - written by Dasarathi and sung by P. Susheela and chorus singers.
- Vandemataram - popular Indian patriotic song written by Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, voice provided by Ghantasala.
- Desa Bhaktulam Memandi - satirical song on politicians and elections written by Kosaraju and sung by J. V. Raghavulu, Madhavipeddi Satyam and Pithapuram Nageswara Rao.
- Asale Alalaga Vugine Saradaga
- Intera Eee Jeevitam Tirige Rangula Ratnam - main theme song of the movie with lyrics by Bhujanga Raya Sharma and voice by Ghantasala and chorus.
- Manusu Manasu Kalise Vela Kanuula Dagina Anuragam - lyrics by C. Narayana Reddy and sung by P. B. Srinivas and P. Susheela
- Koyila Koyani Pilichinadhi - sung by P. Susheela
- Vennela Reyi Chandamama - written by Kosaraju Raghavaiah and sung by B. Gopalam and S. Janaki.