||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
Raymond Geuss (born 1946 in Evansville, Indiana, United States), a Professor in the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Cambridge, is a political philosopher and scholar of 19th and 20th century European philosophy.
Geuss took both his undergraduate (B.A., summa cum laude, 1966) and graduate (Ph.D., 1971) degrees at Columbia University, where he wrote his thesis under the direction of Robert Denoon Cumming. He taught at Princeton University, Columbia University, and University of Chicago in the United States and at Heidelberg and Freiburg in Germany before taking up a lecturing post at Cambridge in 1993. In 2000 he became a naturalised British citizen.
Geuss supervised the graduate work of several prominent scholars working in the history of continental philosophy, social and political philosophy and in the philosophy of art.
To date Geuss has published eight books of philosophy, of which three are collections of essays. They are: The Idea of a Critical Theory: Habermas and the Frankfurt School; Morality, Culture, and History; Public Goods, Private Goods; History and Illusion in Politics; Glueck und Politik; Outside Ethics, Philosophy and Real Politics, and Politics and the Imagination, which has just appeared from Princeton University Press. He has also co-edited two critical editions of works of Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy and Writings from the Early Notebooks. Together with Quentin Skinner, Geuss co-edits the Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought series of books. Geuss has also published two collections of translations/adaptations of poetry from Ancient Greek, Latin and Old High German texts.
- The Idea of a Critical Theory (1981)
- Morality, Culture, and History (1999)
- Parrots, Poets, Philosophers, & Good Advice (1999)
- At Cross Purposes (2001)
- History and Illusion in Politics (2001)
- Public Goods, Private Goods (2001)
- Glueck und Politik (2004)
- Outside Ethics (2005)
- Philosophy and Real Politics (2008)
- Politics and the Imagination (2010)
- A World Without Why (2014)
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Raymond Geuss|
- Raymond Geuss's home page
- Philosophy Bites podcast interview with Raymond Geuss on Real Politics
- Philosophy Bites podcast interview with Raymond Geuss on realism and utopianism in political philosophy
- Realism, Wishful Thinking, and Utopia: A talk by Raymond Geuss, May 6, 2010 at the Institute for Advanced Study, University of Minnesota
- Interview with Peter Shea, Institute for Advanced Study, University of Minnesota
- Richard Rorty at Princeton: Personal Recollections, Raymond Geuss in Arion