|Remix album by Linkin Park|
|Released||October 29, 2013|
|Genre||Dubstep, EDM, drum and bass|
|Label||Warner Bros., Machine Shop|
|Producer||Rick Rubin, Mike Shinoda (original recordings)|
|Linkin Park non-studio chronology|
|Singles from Recharged|
Recharged is the second remix album of recordings by American rock band Linkin Park. The album was released on October 29, 2013, through Warner Bros. Records and Machine Shop Recordings. It is entirely produced by Rick Rubin and Mike Shinoda. The album includes remixes of ten of the songs from the band's fifth studio album Living Things, as well as a new song, "A Light That Never Comes" (and a remix of it) with Steve Aoki, which is the album's first single, released on September 16.
Recharged received mixed reviews from critics.
Background and promotion
Recharged was officially announced on the band's Facebook page on September 12, 2013, the same day that their new game, LP Recharge, was released. The band revealed that the album is a remix album, featuring reinterpretations of ten of the songs from Living Things, as well as including their new song with Steve Aoki, "A Light That Never Comes" (and a remix of it). Five of the remixes were previously released as part of a pre-order promotion for Living Things, called Living Things Remixed (following the release of Living Things, pre-order customers received a remix of a song from the album each month for eight months). The band also announced that there will be a limited-edition version of the album, available exclusively from their website. It features an interactive 3D sculpture based on the Living Things album artwork, a 48-page art booklet, both Living Things and Recharged albums, and a magnetic stylus that can interact with the liquid solution in the 3D sculpture to create unique patterns and designs are included. Pre-orders began on September 16.
In regards to the song "A Light That Never Comes" and the album, Mike Shinoda said:
"I think this song and release show where we're at right now. Making the song with Steve, premiering it through the Recharge Facebook game, and debuting it via Microsoft's Xbox Music—I think it's all indicative of our band's commitment to experimentation and pushing boundaries."
On September 13, Shinoda made another post on the band's Facebook page, revealing the track list and talking about the album:
"After Reanimation, I told many people I would never put together another album of remixes...but as I began to hear all the amazing reinterpretations of LIVING THINGS, I had to change my mind. The result, RECHARGED, is definitely worth it. I can't wait for you guys to hear this amazing project, with contributions by Pusha T, Datsik, KillSonik, Bun B, Money Mark, and others. Our new song with Steve Aoki, A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES is on the album as well, plus a special remix of the new song by the inimitable Rick Rubin."
In that same post, Shinoda revealed that pre-orders from the band's website will receive an exclusive digital download of Paul van Dyk's remix of "Burn It Down", which was also previously released as part of Living Things Remixed.
On January 21, 2014, a new EP was released entitled, "A Light That Never Comes (Remixes)" online.
At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, Recharged received an average score of 49 based on 4 reviews, indicating mixed or average reviews. NME called Recharged "further proof" that dubstep and EDM is nu metal's successor, and described the songs as "nosebleed drum’n’bass, 8-bit blips and oversized dancehall bass". They go on to add "Rick Rubin’s final Primal Scream-gone-hip-hop remix of "A Light That Never Comes" saves Recharged from disaster, but you might need resuscitating after this lot"
Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic gave it 3 out of 5 stars, declaring that "This is the kind of album that appeals primarily for hardcore fans looking for a new spin on the familiar; in other words, this is unlikely to convert EDM listeners to the pleasures of Linkin Park."
The album debuted at number ten on the Billboard 200 chart, with first-week sales of 33,000 copies in the United States. In its second week, the album sold 11,000 more copies. In its third week, the album sold 5,000 more copies bringing its total album sales to 49,000.
|Recharged - Digital download / CD / Vinyl|
|1.||"A Light That Never Comes" (with Steve Aoki)||3:49|
|2.||"Castle of Glass" (M. Shinoda Remix)||6:20|
|3.||"Lost in the Echo" (KillSonik Remix)||5:09|
|4.||"Victimized" (M. Shinoda Remix)||3:00|
|5.||"I'll Be Gone" (Vice Remix) (featuring Pusha T)||4:00|
|6.||"Lies Greed Misery" (Dirtyphonics Remix)||4:50|
|7.||"Roads Untraveled" (Rad Omen Remix) (featuring Bun B)||5:28|
|8.||"Powerless" (Enferno Remix)||6:07|
|9.||"Burn It Down" (Tom Swoon Remix)||4:46|
|10.||"Until It Breaks" (Datsik Remix)||6:00|
|11.||"Skin to Bone" (Nick Catchdubs Remix) (featuring Cody B. Ware and Ryu)||3:54|
|12.||"I'll Be Gone" (Schoolboy Remix)||6:11|
|13.||"Until It Breaks" (Money Mark Headphone Remix)||4:29|
|14.||"A Light That Never Comes" (Rick Rubin Remix)||4:40|
|Recharged - Pre-order Bonus Track|
|15.||"Burn It Down" (Paul van Dyk Remix)||8:00|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||7|
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||9|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||28|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||30|
|Canadian Albums Chart||9|
|Dance/Electronic Charts (Year End)||18|
|Digital Albums Charts||4|
|Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)||38|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||34|
|Hungarian Albums (MAHASZ)||6|
|Hard Rock Albums||1|
|New Zealand Albums (Recorded Music NZ)||9|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||33|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|US Billboard 200||10|
|U.S. Alternative Albums ||3|
|United States||October 29, 2013||CD, Digital download||Warner Bros. Records|
- "Pre-Order "LIVING THINGS" and Packages Available Details". April 16, 2012.
- "Linkin Park post info about LP Recharge and upcoming album". Facebook. Linkin Park. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "RECHARGED track list:". Facebook. Linkin Park. September 13, 2013. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- James Montgomery. "Linkin Park's RECHARGED: Hear The Entire Album Right Now! - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "Recharged Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- "Allmusic Album Reviews - Linkin Park- 'Recharged'". Allmusic.Com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- "NME Album Reviews - Linkin Park- 'Recharged'". Nme.Com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Stephen du Manoir. "Linkin Park | NOW Magazine". Nowtoronto.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Tardio, Andres (2013-11-06). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 11/03/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Tardio, Andres (2013-11-13). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 11/10/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Tardio, Andres (2013-11-20). "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 11/17/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "RECHARGED ALBUM COVER + TRACKLIST". Warner Bros. Records, Linkin Park. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Living Things - Credits". Allmusic. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged". Australiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged" (in German). Austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged" (in Dutch). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged" (in French). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Electronic Albums Year End Charts"Billboard Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Digital Albums Charts"Billboard Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Awards to RECHARGED"Allmusic Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Linkin Park: Recharged" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged" (in Dutch). Dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Archívum › Kereső – lista és dátum szerint" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. LightMedia. Select Lista as Top 40 album, then select Ev as 2014 then select Het as 8 then click on Kereses Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Hard Rock Albums November 2013"Billboard Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged". Charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park – Recharged". Swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Linkin Park Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for Linkin Park. Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Alternative Albums Charts"Billboard Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Recharge Out October 29th". Linkin Park. Tumblr. Retrieved 14 September 2013.