Revue des deux Mondes
|Revue des deux Mondes|
|Discipline||Literature, history, art and science|
|Edited by||Société de la Revue des Deux Mondes|
According to its website, "it is today the place for debates and dialogues between nations, disciplines and cultures, about the major subjects of our societies". The main shareholder is Marc Ladreit de Lacharrière's FIMALAC Group.
The Revue des deux Mondes was founded by Prosper Maurois and Ségur-Dupeyron, first appearing on 1 August 1829. The anodyne periodical with the subtitle Journal des voyages was purchased by a young printer, Auguste-Jean Auffray, who convinced his college roommate François Buloz to edit it: its original emphasis on travel and foreign affairs soon shifted; according to its website, it was created in order to "establish a cultural, economic and political bridge between France and the United States", the Old World and the New.[a] It was purchased in 1831 by Charles Buloz, who was its editor until 1877. Another influential editor in its history was Ferdinand Brunetière (after 1893).
Among the early regular contributors who established the review's reputation as an elite liberal vehicle of haute culture were Albert, 4th duc de Broglie, François Guizot, Jacques Nicolas Augustin Thierry, Ludovic Vitet, Paul-François Dubois, the literary critics Charles Augustin Sainte-Beuve and Gustave Plache, and Jean-Jacques Ampère.
- François Buloz, 1831–1877;
- Charles Buloz, 1877–1893;
- Ferdinand Brunetière, 1893–1906;
- Francis Charmes, 1907–1915;
- René Doumic, 1916–1937;
- André Chaumeix, 1937–1955;
- Claude-Joseph Gignoux, 1955–1966;
- Jean Vigneau, 1966–1970;
- Jean Jaudel, 1970–1991;
- Jean Bothorel, 1991–1995;
- Bruno de Cessole, 1995–1999;
- Nathalie de Baudry d’Asson, 1999–2002;
- Michel Crépu, 2002–present.
- This bridge may explain Wallace Stevens's reference to the Revue in his poem Colloquy with a Polish Aunt.
- de Broglie, Gabriel (1979). Histoire politique de la "Revue des deux mondes." (in French). Paris: Perrin. ISBN 2-262-00147-2.
- Guthrie, Christopher E. (January–March 1984). "The "Revue des Deux Mondes" and Imperial Russia, 1855-1917". Cahiers du Monde russe et soviétique 25 (1): 93–111.
- Furman, Nelly (1975). La "Revue des deux mondes" et le Romantisme: (1831-1848) (in French). Geneva: Librairie Droz. ISBN 978-2-600-03541-5.