- For the lawyer and diplomat, see Richard M. Fairbanks.
Richard Fairbank founded Capital One with Nigel Morris in 1988, and is its Chairman and CEO.  He also serves on the board of directors of MasterCard International, and is the Chairman of MasterCard International's U.S. Region Board of Directors. He is a member of the Stanford Business School Advisory Council, the Financial Services Roundtable, and the board of directors of the BITS Technology Forum.
Fairbank has been awarded Washingtonian’s "Business Leader of the Year", Worth’s list of the top 10 CEOs and "50 Best CEOs", Future Banker’s list of "influential personalities in financial services", Credit Card Management’s "Entrepreneur of the Year"; and The Gartner Group’s "Excellence in Technology."
Fairbank received a bachelor's degree in Economics from Stanford University in 1972, and an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business in 1981, where he graduated first in his class, as well as receiving the Excellence in Leadership award from the University in 2006.
While CEO of Capital One Financial in 2009, Richard D. Fairbank earned a total compensation of $6,076,805, which included no base salary, no cash bonus, $2,000,019 in stock awards, $4,000,001 in option awards, and $76,785 in other compensation.  In 2012, Fairbank's total compensation was $22.6 million. Fairbank receives a base salary of $1.
- "Richard Fairbank: Executive Profile & Biography – Businessweek". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "#497 Richard D Fairbank - Forbes.com". forbes.com. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Richard D. Fairbank". NNDB. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- "Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank Receives Leadership Award | Stanford Graduate School of Business". gsb.stanford.edu. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- 2009 CEO Compensation for Richard D. Fairbank, Equilar
- "Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank's 2012 total compensation was $22.6 mln". CNBC. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- "CEOs Who Make One Dollar A Year". Forbes. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- "Capital One's Richard Fairbank among CEOs earning $1 or less a year". Biz Journals. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Profile at CapitalOne.com
- Article about Fairbanks in Stanford Business magazine
- Profile at Forbes.com
- Profile at the Stanford Business School
|This article about a chief executive from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|