Richard Kadrey is a San Francisco-based novelist, freelance writer, and photographer.
Kadrey's novels are Sandman Slim (2009), Kill the Dead (2010), Aloha From Hell, Devil Said Bang, Dead Set, Angel Scene, Metrophage, Kamikaze L'Amour, and Butcher Bird: A Novel Of The Dominion. Other works include collaborative graphic novels and over 50 published short stories. His novel, Devil Said Bang, was on the New York Times bestseller list.
The first Sandman Slim novel was published in 2009. It is one of 13 books listed on Barnes & Noble’s “Best Paranormal Fantasy Novels of the Last Decade”. The stories' main character, Stark or Sandman Slim, escapes from Hell to find his revenge on the people that killed his lover. He wanders a dark Los Angeles haunted by vampires and demons. After 11 years of fighting as a gladiator with demons in hell he is more than prepared to fight back.
The second Sandman Slim novel Kill the Dead was released in October 2010. On October 18, 2011 the third installment of the Sandman Slim series was released, titled Aloha From Hell. The fourth Sandman Slim Novel, Devil Said Bang was released August 28, 2012. This book was the first of 3 new books in the Sandman Slim series, this book will take place exactly 100 days after the end of Aloha From Hell. The fifth book in the Sandman Slim series will be called Kill City Blues and will be published on 30 July 2013.
The Dino De Laurentiis Company is currently[when?] developing Sandman Slim as a feature film.
Metrophage first published in 1988 is a cyberpunk novel set in a dystopic future where technology replaces morality. It has been referred to in reviews as "one of the quintessential 1980s cyberpunk novels."
Carbon Copy: Meet the First Human Clone
Kadrey's non-fiction books as a writer and/or editor include The Catalog of Tomorrow (Que/TechTV Publishing, 2002), From Myst to Riven (Hyperion, 1997), The Covert Culture Sourcebook and its sequel (St. Martin's Press, New York, 1993 and 1994).
Kadrey hosted a live interview show on Hotwired in the 1990s called Covert Culture. He was an editor at print magazines Shift and Future Sex, and at online magazines Signum and Stim. He has published articles about art, culture and technology in publications including Wired, Omni, Mondo 2000, the San Francisco Chronicle, SF Weekly, Ear, Artforum, ArtByte, Bookforum, World Art, Whole Earth Review, Reflex, Science Fiction Eye, Street Tech, and Interzone.
- "Richard Kadrey - Kill City Blues cover art and synopsis".
- Tonnies, Mac. "Cyberpunk/Postmodern Book Reviews," http://www.mactonnies.com/postmodern.html
- "Richard Kadrey - Dead Set cover art and synopsis reveal".
- Richard Kadrey's Web site
- Dispatches from Probability Beach Richard Kadrey's video blog
- Kaos Beauty Klinik Richard Kadrey's fetish photography site
- Blind Shrike Novel published by Richard Kadrey on The Infinite Matrix; this was an early version of Butcher Bird
- Metrophage Full text of Richard Kadrey's first novel
- Horse Latitudes Full text of one of Richard Kadrey's short stories
- NeoFiles Show #67: On Probability Beach with Richard Kadrey Richard Kadrey talks about Dispatches from Probability Beach and Kaos Beauty Klinik.
- After Amy IMDB entry for the film After Amy
- Richard Kadrey at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database