Richard Moore (engineer)
Richard Moore was an American engineer, Professor Emeritus for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Kansas and founder of the Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory Lab (RSL).
The same year Moore joined Sandia Corporation and became Section Supervisor. In 1955 he transferred to the University of New Mexico as Acting Chairman and Associate Professor, becoming Chairman of the EE Department and Professor the following year. In 1962 Moore became Black & Veatch Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Kansas.
The Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory Lab (RSL) was founded, with Prof. Moore as its director, in 1964. One of its early inventions was the radar radiometer and later the scatterometer. Such an instrument was flown on Skylab as the S-193 RADSCAT.
In 1994 he became Distinguished Professor Emeritus.
He died on hist 89th birthday, November 13, 2012, in Lawrence, KS.
- Australia Prize, for Remote Sensing, 1995
- Remote Sensing Award, Italian Center, 1995
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1993
- Life Fellow of IEEE (Fellow in 1962)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 1989
- Irvin Youngberg Award in the Applied Sciences, University of Kansas, 1989
- Louise E. Byrd Graduate Educator Award, University of Kansas, 1984
- IEEE Centennial Medal, 1984
- Distinguished Achievement Award, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, 1982
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, IEEE Council on Oceanic Engineering, 1978
- Alumni Achievement Award, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Washington University, 1978
- Vice-Chairman, International Commission F (1990-1993), Chairman (1993-1996)
- "History of the Radar Systems & Remote Sensing Lab (RSL)". University of Kansas.
- Moore, R.K.; Ulaby, F.T. (April 1969). "The radar radiometer". Proc. IEEE (IEEE) 57 (4): 587–590.
- "1995 Australia Prize: Professor Richard Moore (USA)".
- Moore, R. K.; Spring, W.; Greenwood, C; Fung, A. K.; Young, J. D.; Claassen, J. P.; Chan, H. L.; Afarani, M.; Pierson, W. J.; Cardone, V. J.; Hayes, J. (1 June 1975). "Skylab S-193 Radscat microwave measurements of sea surface winds".
- "Dr. Richard K. Moore Ph.D.Obituary (USA)".