||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Born||Richard Seymour Norton-Taylor
4 June 1944
|Education||Hertford College (University of Oxford)|
|Occupation||Editor, journalist and playwright|
|Spouse(s)||Anna C. Rendle (married 1967)|
He writes for The Guardian on defence and security matters and was the newspaper's security editor .
Early life and education 
He was born Richard Seymour Norton-Taylor to Lt. Seymour Norton-Taylor, R.A. and Gweneth Joan Powell (died 9 January 1978).
Norton-Taylor joined The Guardian in 1975, concentrating on Whitehall, official secrecy and behind-the-scenes decision-making.
He has written several plays based on transcripts of public inquiries including The Colour of Justice (1999) based on the hearing of the MacPherson Inquiry into the police conduct of the investigation into the murder of Stephen Lawrence and Justifying War: Scenes from the Hutton Inquiry (2003).
Norton-Taylor is a Member of Council of the Royal United Services Institute.
Norton-Taylor won the 1986 Freedom of Information Campaign award, and the same year was prevented by a court injunction from reporting the contents of Spycatcher (1987), the memoirs of the former MI5 agent, Peter Wright. The government's injunction was dismissed in the High Court by Lord Justice Scott.
He was one of the few journalists to cover the Scott inquiry from start to finish. His play, Half the Picture, based on the inquiry, received a 1994 Time Out Drama, Comedy and Dance award for its "brave initiative".
Personal life 
See also 
- British playwrights since 1950
- List of English writers
- List of playwrights by nationality and year of birth
- List of people from Kent
- List of University of Oxford people
- The Times. 16 June 1967 http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itw/infomark/647/691/122304389w16/purl=rc1_TTDA_0_CS201944272&dyn=212!xrn_31_0_CS201944272&hst_1?sw_aep=kccl
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- Richard Norton-Taylor on Twitter
- Richard Norton-Taylor's articles at Guardian Unlimited
- Richard Norton-Taylor at the Internet Movie Database
- Richard Norton-Taylor at doollee.com, the playwright's database