Rock Plaza Central
|Rock Plaza Central|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, indie folk|
|Labels||Paper Bag, Outside, Yep Roc|
|Associated acts||People from Earth|
|Past members||Doug Tielli
Rock Plaza Central is a Canadian indie rock band. The band received favourable reviews from the music website Pitchfork Media. Their 2006 album, Are We Not Horses, was critically acclaimed in both Canada and the United States.
Rock Plaza Central's independently released album, Are We Not Horses, made many top ten lists for the year, including No. 8 for CMJ Editor-in-Chief Kenny Herzog, Pitchfork staff writer Stephen Deusner and Americana-UK lead writer David Cowling. The album would eventually be distributed by Outside Music in Canada. Because it did not receive an official US release until mid-2007, through Yep Roc, it made several[which?] of 2007's year-end lists as well, including Magnet's "10 Great Hidden Treasures of 2007", calling it "2007's finest folk/rock find". In the Winter/Spring of 2009, Are We Not Horses was studied as part of the curriculum of a graduate English course in Contemporary Fiction at the University of South Alabama.
In early 2007, the group received additional attention for their cover of the Justin Timberlake song "SexyBack". Their fourth album, ...at the moment of our most needing, was released on May 28, 2009 on Paper Bag Records.
Frontman Chris Eaton is also the author of three novels, The Inactivist (2003), The Grammar Architect (2005), and Chris Eaton, a biography  that have been studied on several university courses across North America. Letters To Thomas Pynchon is a short fiction collection published as an eBook with Joyland: A hub for short fiction.
- Quantum Butterass – 1997
- The World Was Hell to Us – 2003
- Are We Not Horses – 2006
- 'neath The Lion's Paw EP – 2009
- ...At the Moment of Our Most Needing – 2009
- Anthem for the Already Defeated from Are We Not Horses Music Video by Humble Empire
- My Children Be Joyfull from Are We Not Horses by Music Video by Humble Empire
- I Am An Excellent Steel Horse from Are We Not Horses Music Video by Humble Empire
- (Don't You Believe the Words of) Handsome Men from At the Moment of our Most Needing Music Video by Akaflk and Epstein Creative, January 2010
- Deusner, Stephen M. (2006-11-16). "Rock Plaza Central Are We Not Horses Pitchfork Record Review". Pitchfork Media. Pitchforkmedia, Inc. p. 1. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- Deusner, Stephen M. (2006-10-23). "Rock Plaza Central "My Children, Be Joyful"". Pitchfork Media. Pitchforkmedia, Inc. p. 1. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Rock Plaza Central Sign to Yep Roc | Pitchfork
- "EH 573 | Contemporary Fiction". Soundculturestudies.net. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Wheeler, Brad (2007-01-30). "Too sexy for their suits". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- Berman, Stuart (September 7, 2006). "Disc-overy of the Week: Rock Plaza Central "Are We Not Horses"". Eye Weekly (Torstar). Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- Khanna, Vish (November 29, 2006). "Record Reviews: Rock Plaza Central Are We Not Horses". Exclaim! (Exclaim!). Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- [dead link]
- "Robot Horses Waging War On Angels: A Profile Of Chris Eaton". The Rumpus.net. 2009-07-08. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Dilworth, Dianna (2010-11-16). "Joyland eBooks To Release Second Title - eBookNewser". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.