Rodrigo y Gabriela
|Rodrigo y Gabriela|
Rodrigo y Gabriela in April 2012
|Origin||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Labels||Rubyworks Records, MapleMusic Recordings (Canada)|
Rodrigo y Gabriela (Rodrigo and Gabriela) are a Mexican guitar duo whose music spans a number of genres including nuevo flamenco, rock, and heavy metal. The duo's discography consists largely of unaccompanied duets on the classical guitar.
The musicians gained a reputation by playing on the streets of Dublin, Ireland and gained a cult following. They regularly dismiss being classified in a particular genre of music, preferring to say they play a fusion of many influences.
Rodrigo y Gabriela have sold in excess of 1.2 million albums. In 2011 they collaborated with Hans Zimmer on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides soundtrack while also contributing to the soundtrack for the Shrek prequel Puss in Boots.
Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero grew up in middle-class families in Mexico City. Their parents listened to flamenco, jazz, and rock music but they were both exposed to heavy metal rock music like Metallica, were inspired by it, and played in this genre.
Rodrigo and Gabriela met as teenagers, at the Casa de Cultura (House of Culture) in Mexico City, where Rodrigo’s brother was the director.
In the early 1990s, Sanchez formed a heavy metal band called Tierra Acida ("Acid Land") with his brother. Quintero joined them in 1993. When a record deal for the band fell through in 1997, Sanchez and Quintero left Mexico City for the resort town of Ixtapa on the Pacific coast of Mexico. They played in beach side bars and practiced for long hours.
Growing frustrated with the limited scope of the domestic Mexican music scene, they moved to Europe, where they were well received. They took up residence in Dublin, Ireland, after hearing it was particularly welcoming to traveling musicians. Playing live gigs in various pubs and busking on Grafton Street allowed them to practice their sound. They received their break by opening for artists like Damien Rice and David Gray. In 2002 they released a demo called re-Foc and started touring extensively in festivals around the United Kingdom and beyond.
The self-titled album, Rodrigo y Gabriela, entered the Irish Albums Chart at #1 beating Arctic Monkeys and Johnny Cash to the top spot. It was released internationally on March 13, 2006, having been given an earlier Irish release. Rodrigo y Gabriela, which was produced by John Leckie, includes covers of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and Metallica's "Orion." The duo lists Metallica as being among their key influences, alongside other heavy metal bands such as Megadeth, Slayer, Testament and Overkill. The other tracks are original works inspired by the places they have been and the people they have met.
The duo had their national American TV debut on Late Show with David Letterman on December 18 2006, performing "Diablo Rojo".
Their feature on MTV gave them a huge boost in popularity in the United States. This led to a feature on Nightmare Revisited, a tribute album to the music from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The duo perform an instrumental version of "Oogie Boogie's Song."
They released a new album, 11:11, in September, 2009. Alex Skolnick of Testament guests on the album, as do Strunz & Farah. Upon the release of the new album, they received much mainstream American popularity and were the featured music on Monday Night Football on October 12, 2009, as they celebrated Latino Heritage Month.
The duo was the musical guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson that aired on CBS-TV on October 28, 2009, and was re-run on December 29, 2009. They performed "Buster Voodoo." They performed on Jools Holland's Annual Hootenanny on December 31, 2009.
They headlined the West Holts stage on the Sunday night at Glastonbury 2010 and played the King Tuts Tent at T In The Park on 10 July 2010. They also had a spot on the main stage at Latitude festival that same July and they managed to draw in a huge crowd.
In 2010, Rodrigo y Gabriela contributed a live version of their song "Hora Zero" to the Enough Project and Downtown Records' Raise Hope for Congo compilation. Proceeds from the compilation fund efforts to make the protection and empowerment of Congo’s women a priority, as well as inspire individuals around the world to raise their voice for peace in the Congo.
They played the Nice Jazz Festival on 23 July 2010, and the Mcmenamin's Edgefield outdoor concert in Portland, Oregon on August 14, 2010, as well as the Ravinia Festival on August 28, 2010, and on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on September 30, 2010.
In September, 2010, the duo announced a hiatus from touring due to stress injuries caused by Gabriela's heavily percussive style of playing. However, they did manage to play five sold-out nights at Shepherds Bush in London.
On January 20, 2011, Rodrigo y Gabriela entered the studio with Hans Zimmer to write and record sessions of the score from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The soundtrack was released on May 17, 2011, three days before the film's general release.
On July 9, 2011, Rodrigo Y Gabriela performed a live set for Guitar Center' Sessions on DirecTV. The episode included an interview with program host, Nic Harcourt. On July 25, 2011, Rodrigo y Gabriela released another live album entitled Live in France.
In January 2012 they released Area 52, their first album backed by other musicians. The tracks on the album are mostly re-worked versions of songs that have appeared on their duo albums, Rodrigo y Gabriela and 11:11. Reviews were mixed, with some tracks criticised for the backing band drowning out the guitar work that fans love but others praised where the guitar workouts "are allowed space to breathe by lighter salsa-style backing."
Reviewing one of their gigs, The Independent notes that "Rodrigo y Gabriela's secret is maybe quite simple. They are resourceful musicians, and are open-hearted, happy entertainers. That, very often, is what people want." Both live a vegan lifestyle and support animal rights.
Both Rodrigo and Gabriela play Yamaha NX series electro nylon string guitars exclusively. Rodrigo plays the slimmer neck NTX1200 and Gabriela plays the more traditional sized NCX2000 and NCX1200.
|2006||Rodrigo y Gabriela||–||–||70||1||–||90||53|
(Rodrigo y Gabriela & C.U.B.A.)
|2014||9 Dead Alive||39||49||42||24||–||73||39|
|2004||Live: Manchester and Dublin||–||–||–||–||–|
|2008||Live in Japan||–||–||99||–||–|
|2011||Live in France||–||–||70||96||65|
- Live Session (2007)
- Foc (2001)
- Levin, Jordan, "Rodrigo y Gabriela’s road from the streets to stardom", The Miami Herald, March 19, 2010
- "Profile: Rodrigo y Gabriela", The Guardian (UK).
- "Top 75 Artist Album, Week Ending 23 February 2006". ChartTrack.co.uk. 23 February 2006. Retrieved 2006-03-17.
- Rodrigo Y Gabriela
- www.mark-heringer.com: Starbucks iTunes Pick of the Week - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Santa Domingo
- Rodrigo y Gabriela... | Facebook
- "Tonight at the White House State Dinner: Beyoncé and Rodrigo y Gabriela". The White House Blog. The White House. May 19, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- Glastonbury Festival - Rodrigo Y Gabriela, BBC
- BBC - T in the Park Festival 2010 - Rodrigo Y Gabriela
- Raise Hope for Congo Music
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela's Myspace blog" Retrieved on 2010-10-08.
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela's Twitter Status 20/01/2011" Retrieved on 2011-01-20.
- "News" section
- Guitar Center Sessions with host Nic Harcourt Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- BBC Review: "Rodrigo y Gabriela Area 52 Review"
- Hasted, Nick (November 26, 2009). "Rodrigo y Gabriela, Hammersmith Apollo, London". The Independent (London). Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela Promote a Vegan Lifestyle
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela discography". ultratop.be/nl/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela discography". ultratop.be/fr/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela discography". dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Rodrigo y Gabriela discography". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Official Rodrigo y Gabriela site
- Video Channel on MUZU TV
- Interview on WNYC's Soundcheck.
- Interview with Gabriela for Irish Migration Studies in Latin America journal, March 2007
- Interview on NPR's All Things Considered, October 10, 2009
- Rodrigo y Gabriela Rock the White House