|Roger McEvoy Greenawalt|
|Genres||Rock, Pop, Acoustic Rock, Reggae, Dance, Film/TV Scoring, Electronica, Sound Design|
|Occupation(s)||Record Producer, Composer, Performer|
|Years active||1978- Present|
|Associated acts||Ben Kweller, The Pierces, Rufus Wainwright|
|Ukulele, Bass, Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Pedal Steel, Lap Steel, Percussion, Programming|
Roger McEvoy Greenawalt is a music producer and musician known for carrying a ukulele at all times everywhere he goes, and discovering new talent, including singer Ben Kweller. A story on Greenawalt's efforts, which led to a 15 year-old Kweller being signed to a major record label with his band Radish, appeared in the New Yorker on April 7, 1997.
Greenawalt studied at Berklee College of Music in Boston from 1978-1980. In 1980 Greenawalt formed the "Sarcastic Post Punk No Wave Death Disco" band The Dark who, after gaining a loyal East Coast following, drew the interest of Ric Ocasek, lead singer and guitarist of The Cars. Ocasek produced The Dark's second EP, Darkworld, in 1982. A single, "Judy", became a local hit in Boston.
Since the mid-1980s, Greenawalt has produced a wide variety of music, including records by bands such as Ben Kweller, The Pierces, and Julian Velard. Recent productions include recordings by The Pierces, Julian Velard, Nellie McKay Lovely Liar Reno Is Famous, and Thinking In Pictures
Beatles Complete On Ukulele
On December 8, 2004, Greenawalt first performed his Beatles Complete On Ukulele concert by playing all 185 original Beatles songs in one day on ukulele with 60 guest singers at Elizabeth Streb's SLAM Action Lab in Brooklyn, New York. In 2008, he did the same show again at Brooklyn's Spike Hill. Since then, Greenawalt has performed the marathon show three more times at Brooklyn Bowl and three years running at SXSW in Austin, Texas (2010, 2011). Greenawalt performed an abridged version near San Francisco at The McEvoy Ranch Harvest Festival in November 2010. Performers at these various concerts have included Nellie McKay, The Naked Brothers Band, The Pierces, Adam Green, Ryan Miller of Guster, Jeremiah Birnbaum, and Freedy Johnston. Greenawalt has an accompanying web site Beatles Complete On Ukulele where he is rerecording original Beatles songs on ukulele. He releases a new track periodically with an original essay about the song. See link to site here...
- 1980 - Personalized Tapes The Dark DarkWorld Industries Custom Tapes made for and about notable music business personalities
- 1981 - You Are In No Danger The Dark DarkWorld Industries 3 song EP featuring "Judy" about Judy Grunwald of The Maps
- 1982 - Darkworld, The Dark (Ambiguous Records, Produced by Ric Ocasek)
- 1982 - Beatitude, Ric Ocasek (Geffen Records) - Guitar
- 1983 - Don't Feed The Fashion Sharks, The Dark (Relativity Records)
- 1984 - Love Is Bigger Than Both Of Us,, Frank Jargon And The Photo Opportunity, (Self Released Composer, Lead Vocals, Guitar
- 1987 - Times De Are Changing Soweto Soleil, (Jah Jah Music)Recorded at Tuff Gong Studios Kingston, Jamaica, Producer, Bass
- 1988 - Willi Jones, (Geffen Records) Guitar, Composer, Producer
- 1991 - The Poppies[disambiguation needed], (Columbia Records) - Co-Founder, Producer, Composer, Guirtar, Bass Vocals, Programming, Percussion
- 1992 - Eve's Plum (Epic Records) - Producer, Engineer,
- 1992 - The Manson Family, An Opera, John Moran, featuring Iggy Pop and Terri Roche (Point Records) - Producer, Engineer, Bass, Programming
- 1993 - "Damn I Wish I Were Your Lover", Sophie B. Hawkins (Columbia Records) - Guitar
- 1992 - Frankenhooker (Glickenhaus Films) - Composer
- 1994 - The Murmurs (MCA Records) - Producer, engineer, bass
- 1995 - "Damaged Goods," Nils Lofgren (Rounder Records) - Producer, engineer, bass
- 1997 - Don't Speak (remix), No Doubt (Interscope Records) - Engineer, Guitar
- 1997 - Radish, led by 15-year-old Ben Kweller (Mercury Records) - Producer, Engineer
- 2003 - Ashley MacIsaac, (London Records) - Producer, Engineer, Composer
- 2004 - Want Two, Rufus Wainwright (Dreamworks Records) - Banjo, Ukulele,
- 2005 - Ben Kweller, Albert Hammond, Jr. "Wait" This Bird Has Flown The Beatles' Rubber Soul, (ATO Records) - Producer
- 2006 - What I Like About Jew Rob Tannenbaum/Sean Altman - Producer, Engineer
- 2006 - I Think I'll Move", Aberfeldy (Rough Trade) - Producer, Engineer, Mix, Slide guitar
- 2006 - Call An Ambulance, Albert Hammond, Jr. (Rough Trade) - Ukulele
- 2007 - The Movies Without You, Julian Velard (EMI UK) - Producer, Engineer, Mix
- 2007 - Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge, The Pierces (Lizard King) - Producer, Engineer, Mix, Composer, Guitar, Bass, Ukulele, Mandolin, Percussion, Programming
- 2008 - These Bricks Are Bleeding, Rex Moroux - Producer, Engineer, Mix, Composer, Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Percussion
- 2008 - Alan Cohen Experience, Alan Cohen Experience - Producer, Engineer, Mix
- 2009 - Jessie Murphy In The Woods, Eight Belles - Producer, Engineer, Mix, Guitar, Bass,
- 2009–Present The Beatles Complete On Ukulele - Creator, Producer, Engineer, Mix, Ukulele, Bass, Programming, Percussion
- 2009 - Eat the Peace, Alan Cohen Experience - Producer
- 2010 - Spinning In Time, Craig Greenberg - Producer, engineer, Bass,
- 2010 - The Lonely Crowd, Ether - Producer, Engineer, Mix, Bass
- 2011 - You And I, The Pierces - Producer, Engineer, Guitar, Bass
- 2011 - Song For Troy Davis, Nellie McKay - Producer, Engineer, Mix
- Recent work with Albert Hammond, Jr., Rhett Miller, Adam Green, Reno Is Famous, Olivia Mancini, Lovely Liar, Thinking In Pictures, Trevor Exter, We Were Evergreen, Sophie Madeline, Afro Jersey
- Seabrook, John (April 7, 1997). "A profile of Greenawalt’s role in the discovery of Ben Kweller". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Dark, The. "Judy". song. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- Belm. "Living in This Darkworld". Belm Blog.
- Carr, David (2010-03-19). "SXSW: The Beatles Meet the Ukulele". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
-  A profile of Greenawalt’s role in the discovery of Ben Kweller. From The New Yorker April 7, 1997.
-  Greenawalt's Myspace page
- YouTube Video - Greenawalt and band Supergene perform a Beatles song
- Ukuleledisco.com - Greenawalt plays ukulele in 1969
- Beatles Complete on Ukulele - blog
-  Interview with Roger Greenawalt. From Original Hipster.net Nov. 17, 2010.