|Motto: "Honoring The Past, Embracing The Future"|
|• Type||Mayor–council government|
|• Mayor||Roger Fritz (L)|
|• Governing body||Roland City Council|
|• Total||1.08 sq mi (2.80 km2)|
|• Land||1.08 sq mi (2.80 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,024 ft (312 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,284|
|• Density||1,188.9/sq mi (459.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0460769|
|Website||City of Roland, Iowa Website|
Roland is a city in Story County, Iowa, United States. The population was 1,284 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Ames, Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is a part of the larger Ames-Boone, Iowa Combined Statistical Area.
The city was incorporated December 29, 1891.
Roland is located at (42.165662, -93.499965).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,284 people, 503 households, and 354 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,188.9 inhabitants per square mile (459.0 /km2). There were 534 housing units at an average density of 494.4 per square mile (190.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.4% White, 0.2% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.0% of the population.
There were 503 households of which 39.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.2% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.6% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.10.
The median age in the city was 35.9 years. 28.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 29.4% were from 25 to 44; 25.9% were from 45 to 64; and 10% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,324 people, 485 households, and 366 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,223.0 people per square mile (473.3/km2). There were 509 housing units at an average density of 470.2 per square mile (182.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.02% White, 0.08% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.08% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.68% of the population.
There were 485 households out of which 41.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.6% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.22.
32.4% are under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 95.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $47,461, and the median income for a family was $55,417. Males had a median income of $34,118 versus $27,045 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,165. About 4.1% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.7% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.
Roland has a mayor-council form of government, with a mayor elected to a two-year term and five city council members elected to 4-year terms.
In November 2005, the citizens of Roland elected Sam Juhl (I) the mayor of the city; Juhl was 18 years old and a high school student at the time of his election, and was sworn into office in January 2006. Juhl was elected to a second term and did not seek a third. The current mayor is Roger Fritz (L), elected in November 2009. He was re-elected in 2013 despite not filing for re-election and asking voters not to write him in.
- Sam Juhl (born 1987) former mayor of Roland who was one of the youngest mayors in the United States
- Gary Thompson, basketball player
- "City of Roland, Iowa". City of Roland, Iowa. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "Roger Fritz". Libertarian Party. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Roland, Iowa". City-Data.com. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Libertarian Mayor in Iowa Re-Elected Despite His Wishes". Ballot Access News. November 12, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Caucusing with Iowa's Very Young Mayor". NPR. January 2, 2008. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roland, Iowa.|
- City of Roland portal style website City Government, Library, Area Development Corp. and more
- City Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Roland, Iowa