Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire
|Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV|
Cover art (PlayStation version)
|Series||Romance of the Three Kingdoms|
Multiplayer (2-8 players)
|Distribution||3.5 inch floppy (PC-98, MS-DOS), 1 CD (Windows, PlayStation, Saturn), 1 GD-ROM (DC)|
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (released as Sangokushi IV in Japan) is the fourth in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series of turn-based strategy games produced by Koei and based on the historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire was the last game in the series to be released on the PC in the United States until Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.
Gameplay is generally similar to the previous installments.
The six scenarios in this game are listed as follows:
- Dong Zhuo seizes control of Luoyang (AD 189)
- The Flying General roams the Central Plains (AD 194)
- Liu Bei seeks shelter in Xinye (AD 201)
- The Crouching Dragon soars across Red Cliffs (AD 208)
- End of the Han Dynasty - Rise of the Three Kingdoms (AD 221)
- A star falls at Wuzhang Plains (AD 235)
Graphics are enhanced in this game and there are additional features such as:
- Warships can make other warships catch fire
- Archers can fire flaming arrows at other soldiers and catapults
- Barbarians can be summoned to conduct raids on enemy territory
- Alliances can be formed between the player and other warlords but these are not permanent
A separate power-up kit was released for the Chinese and Japanese versions of the PC game, allowing further customization of characters in the game. PlayStation, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast ports of the game included the power-up kit.
Three additional scenarios (the first two are not based on the novel) are present in the power-up kit version:
- The villain usurps the power of the Han Dynasty - Unification of China (AD 189)
- Three heroes compete for power in war-ravaged China (AD 190)
- Rise of the barbarian king (AD 225)
- NEW GAMES CROSS REVIEW: 三國志IV. Weekly Famicom Tsūshin. No.333. Pg.32. 5 May 1995.
- NEW GAMES CROSS REVIEW: 三國志IV. Weekly Famicom Tsūshin. No.346. Pg.33. 4 August 1995.