Ron Charles (born 1962 in St. Louis, Missouri) is a book critic at The Washington Post. His awards include the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award Nona Balakian Citation for book reviews, and 1st Place for A&E Coverage from the Society for Features Journalism in 2011.
Sometime after August 2010, with his review of Franzen's Freedom, Charles began a series of video book reviews for The Washington Post titled "The Totally Hip Video Book Review". In the series, Charles, sometimes featuring his wife, high school English teacher Dawn Charles, hams it up with sight gags and intentionally bad jokes. It is a satirical look at current books in the news and the art of book reviewing.
- "Ron Charles Wins NBCC Nona Balakian Citation". National Book Critics Circle. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Ron Charles's "NBCC Acceptance Speech in NYC". YouTube. March 3, 2009. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Excellence-in-Features Writing". Society for Features Journalism. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Ron Charles (August 30, 2010). "Video review of Freedom". Washington Post. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- Dan Ozzi (Feb 14, 2011). "For Your Consideration: Ron Charles, Video Book Reviewer". Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved September 12, 2012.
- "Videos by Ron Charles: Totally Hip Video Book Reviewer series". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 12, 2012.