Rosalind Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn
The Duchess of Abercorn
The Duchess of Abercorn in 1914.
|Born||26 February 1869|
|Died||18 January 1958 (aged 88)|
|Occupation||Great-grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales|
Lady Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Hamilton, DBE (26 February 1869 – 18 January 1958) was a British aristocrat and the Duchess of Abercorn by marriage. She was a great-grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
They had five children:
- Lady Mary Cecilia Rhodesia Hamilton (1896–1984), who married twice, firstly in 1917 Capt/Maj. Robert Orlando Rudolph Kenyon-Slaney (1892–1965), with whom she divorced in 1930, and secondly, in 1930, to Sir John Gilmour, 2nd Baronet. With her first husband she had two sons and a daughter, and with her second husband one son.
- Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton (1897–1972), who married in 1919 to Albert Edward John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (1892–1975). They had a son and two daughters. By their son they became grandparents of Diana, Princess of Wales.
- Lady Katherine Hamilton (1900–1985), who married in 1930 Lt-Col. Sir Reginald Henry Seymour (1878–1938), a descendant of the 1st Marquess of Hertford. She was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Prince Albert, Duke of York, and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on 3 May 1923.
- Sir James Edward Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn (1904–1979)
- Lord Claud David Hamilton (1907–1968), who worked as a barrister in the Inner Temple, and who in 1946 married Genesta Mary Heath; he was her third husband and the union was childless.
Rosalind, Duchess of Abercorn was invested as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1936. She was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) by Queen's University, Belfast, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, in 1944. She died in 1958, aged 88.
|Ancestors of Rosalind Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn|
- The Honourable Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Bingham (1869–1888)
- Lady Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Bingham (1888–1894)
- Marchioness of Hamilton (1894–1913)
- Her Grace The Duchess of Abercorn (1913–1953)
- Her Grace The Dowager Duchess of Abercorn (1953–1958)
- Daily Telegraph: royal wedding photograph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/royalty/9176069/The-Queen-Mother-in-pictures.html?frame=2181538
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 6. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.