Royal de Luxe
Royal de Luxe is a French mechanical marionette street theatre company. They were founded in 1979 in Aix-en-Provence by Jean-Luc Courcoult. After some years based in Toulouse, the company moved to Nantes in 1989, the company has performed in France, Belgium, England, Germany, Iceland, Chile, Australia and Mexico.
Many of their spectacles use gigantic puppets:
|The giant falls from the sky|
|The giant falls from the sky, last voyage|
|Return to Africa|
|The giraffe hunters|
|The Sultan's Elephant||Nantes, May 2005
London, May 2006
Antwerp, July 2006
|A story about a time-travelling girl.
Often called The Giant Little Girl on Internet-posted videos.
The Elephant is nowadays considered as an official symbol of the city of Nantes ; he's also one of the city's most popular touristic landmarks.
|The Hidden Rhinoceros||Santiago de Chile, January 2007|
|The Giant of the Titanic||Nantes, June 2009||
Photoblog of the show
|The Diver and the Giant Little Girl||Berlin, October 2009
Antwerp, August 2010
|The Mexican Giant, the dog Xolo and the Little Indian Girl||Guadalajara, November 2010
Nantes, May 2011
|Photoset of the show in Nantes|
|Sea Odyssey: Giants Spectacular||Liverpool, April 2012||Little Girl Giant and Xolo the Dog awake from their slumbers and try to find Diving Uncle |
|Memories of August 1914||Liverpool, July 2014||Grandmother awakes and walks with Little Girl and dog |
- The true history of France
- Roman photo tournage
- The Peplum (with odorama)
- Revolt of the Mannequins. After Nantes in February 2008 and Antwerp, in July 2008, It was played in Berlin, in November 2008
- They were also said to have made another giant, more lightweight elephant used in Take That Presents: The Circus Live, atop which the four band members performed "The Garden". This elephant had to be made much more lightweight to be transported between venues.
- La Princesse, a giant mechanical spider designed by the same man who designed the Sultan's Elephant but produced by La Machine - a different performing arts company.
- Les Balayeurs du désert, an accompanying band who perform much of the music for productions run by the Royal de Luxe.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Royal de Luxe.|
- Royal de Luxe official site
- About Royal De Luxe (note that as of October, 2008, the site had no new updates since 2006)
- BBC, "How giants genius Jean-Luc Courcoult fell for Liverpool", 25 July 2014
- BBC article about Royal de Luxe, 24 December 2012
- La Révolte des Mannequins ("Revolt of the Mannequins") Extensive photoblog of Royal de Luxe's show in Nantes, France, February 2008
- I, for one, welcome the Giant French Rocket Girl and her Elephant of Royal Luxury! has a collection of links about the performance in Nantes
- The Sultan's Elephant in London
- Extracts from an interview with Jean Luc Courcoult by Jean-Christophe Planche
- The Sultan's Elephant in Le Havre on October 2006. Pictures and videos
- Photos and info, news, links etc. from Royal de Luxe events all over the world.
- Photo Album about Royal de Luxe on Fotopedia
- "Street Theatre and a Giant Elephant". BBC Radio 4. 21 November 2012.
|This France-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|